Filed under Opinions, Showcase

An open letter to academic letters

Adelyn Gaither posing in letterman jacket.

Hayden Umphenour

Hayden Umphenour

Over the decades, varsity lettering has become a symbol of importance and achievement in high school sports. Starting this year, Orcutt Academy High School is allowing students to get these letters for being a part of the drama class.. Some spartans have strong opinions about this, and we decided to figure out how they feel.

Because so many students are involved with sports at Orcutt Academy, lettering has always been a polarizing issue. For the small group of students who don’t get their letters the traditional way, they see alternative activities such as robotics, band, and now drama as a way for them to get their letter doing something they actually like. In contrast, for most of the athletes at OA, it is offensive to see a symbol of hard work and achievement given away for what they consider to be much less work.

In my opinion, I think drama students should get some type of award. However, I don’t think that award should be a letter. The main reason I think this is because letters are supposed to be symbols of being an athlete. Rather than being associated with exercise, this is because varsity sports compete. This is why, in my eyes, even clubs like robotics and band can pass as a sport and should get varsity letters- because they compete.. Drama doesn’t compete in anything, and for that reason I don’t think they should get a letter. Drama students definitely deserve to get awards for their work, but I don’t think lettering is the answer.

To get a more expanded view on the issue, the Spartan Oracle took a poll. Forty-five random Orcutt Academy students during were asked ¨Do you agree with Drama students receiving letters?¨ and ¨Are you an athlete¨. Out of the 45 votes, 31 voted no to drama students earning letters. 25 were athletes, and 20 were non athletes. Every athlete asked except for one felt that drama students should not letter. Non athletes still for the most part felt that drama should not letter, although they were more lenient to the idea.

Overall, although I am an athlete, I disagree with most of the other athletes at Orcutt Academy. The vast majority feel that because drama isn’t traditional sport, they should not be rewarded with a letter. I agree that drama students shouldn’t get letters, but only because they don’t compete. They do, however, put in lots of hard work and should get chords at graduation.

Matt La Rocco, Reporter

My name is Matt La Rocco and I am  a 16-year-old senior at OAHS. I have played varsity baseball for all four years at the school. This is my first year...