Spartan soccer shoots into the new season

Brian Speer and the girls varsity team.

Brian Speer and the girls varsity team.

Riley Speer

Brian Speer and the girls varsity team.

Riley Speer

Riley Speer

Brian Speer and the girls varsity team.

Hayden Umphenour, Reporter

Orcutt Academy High School’s girls varsity soccer coach, Brian Speer, is excited and ready to start the new season with returning players, and new incoming girls as well. The new season starts in the beginning of November.

This will be  Speer’s sixth year coaching varsity soccer at Orcutt Academy. Originally, Speer stepped in as the junior varsity coach during his eldest daughter’s freshman year. “I happened to be injured during the time that the school needed a JV coach, and I thought it would be enjoyable so I decided to take the position,” Speer explains.

Last season, Speer led the girls varsity soccer team to CIF for the first time in Orcutt Academy’s history. Finishing third in their league, Speer was ecstatic about bringing the girls to CIF, and spoke about how he felt as a coach. Speer is never left disappointed after coaching a season and explains that he always “gets out more than he puts in.”

This season Speer says that since the girls have switched leagues, two of their hardest opponents, Lompoc and Santa Ynez, have dropped out, and they have a real shot at being in first place.

With Speer’s coaching, Orcutt Academy’s varsity girls soccer team is sure to have a great season.