Inspiring change: OAHS fundraises for the thirsty

Zaley+Bennett+%28third+from+the+left%29%2C+alongside+fellow+ASB+members+after+making+a+poster+to+promote+Gravity+Water+

Zaley Bennett (third from the left), alongside fellow ASB members after making a poster to promote Gravity Water

G.Lam

G.Lam

G.Lam

Clean drinking water is a basic human necessity; so why do nearly 700 million people worldwide continue to go without it? This question seemed to have a great impact on Orcutt Academy High School’s ASB students, leading them to the conclusion that something needed to be done about the international water crisis.  

An estimated three to four million people die each year as a result of poor drinking water and water-related diseases. This occurs in poverty-stricken places such as Nepal and Vietnam, where living spaces are overcrowded and existing water resources are polluted by garbage and bodily waste.

Enter Gravity Water, founded by Danny Wright, whose focus is to provide under-developed countries with safe, self-sustaining, and energy-free drinking water. As a non-profit organization, Gravity Water relies mainly on donations and fundraisers to carry out their missions.

Realizing this, Orcutt Academy students and staff have decided to raise money in order to sponsor a filtration system to be donated at a children’s school in Nepal or Vietnam.

Leading the charity event is ASB member, Zaley Bennett, who says “My favorite aspect of this fundraiser was coming to the conclusion that I am making a difference. That I, with the help of the school, have the ability to change these kids’ lives for the better.”

According to OAHS faculty member Leigh Stephenson, her ASB team will be conducting a fundraiser leading up to the school’s Homecoming Week from October 1st up to the 13th. They will encourage the student body to participate in donating to money jars around campus, with the incentive that the teacher with the most money will get a pie in the face. Beyond this, the greatest reward for each contribution will be knowing that it only takes one act of selflessness to positively change the lives of others.

Gravity Water and similar organizations make it possible for the youth in schools like Orcutt Academy to reach the outside world in a positive and impactful way, and demonstrate a healthy passion for helping those in need.