Filed under News, Showcase

Inspiring change: OAHS fundraises for the thirsty

Zaley+Bennett+%28third+from+the+left%29%2C+alongside+fellow+ASB+members+after+making+a+poster+to+promote+Gravity+Water+
Zaley Bennett (third from the left), alongside fellow ASB members after making a poster to promote Gravity Water

G.Lam

G.Lam

Clean drinking water is a basic human necessity; so why do nearly 700 million people worldwide continue to go without it? This question seemed to have a great impact on Orcutt Academy High School’s ASB students, leading them to the conclusion that something needed to be done about the international water crisis.  

An estimated three to four million people die each year as a result of poor drinking water and water-related diseases. This occurs in poverty-stricken places such as Nepal and Vietnam, where living spaces are overcrowded and existing water resources are polluted by garbage and bodily waste.

Enter Gravity Water, founded by Danny Wright, whose focus is to provide under-developed countries with safe, self-sustaining, and energy-free drinking water. As a non-profit organization, Gravity Water relies mainly on donations and fundraisers to carry out their missions.

Realizing this, Orcutt Academy students and staff have decided to raise money in order to sponsor a filtration system to be donated at a children’s school in Nepal or Vietnam.

Leading the charity event is ASB member, Zaley Bennett, who says “My favorite aspect of this fundraiser was coming to the conclusion that I am making a difference. That I, with the help of the school, have the ability to change these kids’ lives for the better.”

According to OAHS faculty member Leigh Stephenson, her ASB team will be conducting a fundraiser leading up to the school’s Homecoming Week from October 1st up to the 13th. They will encourage the student body to participate in donating to money jars around campus, with the incentive that the teacher with the most money will get a pie in the face. Beyond this, the greatest reward for each contribution will be knowing that it only takes one act of selflessness to positively change the lives of others.

Gravity Water and similar organizations make it possible for the youth in schools like Orcutt Academy to reach the outside world in a positive and impactful way, and demonstrate a healthy passion for helping those in need.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Inspiring change: OAHS fundraises for the thirsty”

1. Leticia Ruvalcaba on October 5th, 2018 9:05 AM

There is a lot of information in this article and the way you formatted the information is great.

2. Peyton Heath on October 10th, 2018 7:51 AM

Before I read this article, I honestly had no idea what Gravity Water was. This article was very informative and to the point.

3. Lauren Tittes on October 10th, 2018 10:39 AM

It’s really inspiring seeing people your age making a difference. This article really made me realize how important it is to be aware of the help you can do, no matter how insignificant you may think it to be, it’s always going to impact someone.

4. Lacey Barnes on October 11th, 2018 8:36 AM

I think that this fundraiser is great. Being able to actually help kids in need is a wonderful thing for Orcutt Academy to do, and the students can feel like they’ve contributed.

• Inspiring change: OAHS fundraises for the thirsty

Imbalance in AP classes around America, even at Orcutt Academy?

Fundraising for your future

Flatley joins the Orcutt Academy family

The battle for Homecoming court

America on its knees

The sky is falling! Oh wait, everyone calm down, it’s just the MU lights

OAHS drama, back in business with “The Witches”

Inspiring creativity through Orcutt’s youth

Club day captured through photos

The new success teacher succeeding elsewhere