The sky is falling! Oh wait, everyone calm down, it’s just the MU lights

On Monday, September 10, OA officials discovered the overhead lights in the high school's MU had fallen to the ground over the weekend. No one was hurt, but some have been left with concern over school safety.

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

On the morning of Monday, September 10th, Orcutt Academy officials were surprised to find out that the overhead lights in the school’s MU had crashed to the floor over the weekend. We talked with several people to get their opinions on the incident and whether or not this was just a freak accident or a safety concern.

According to Director of Maintenance for the Orcutt Union School District, Brad Gitchell, the cause of the lights falling is that they were not correctly fastened to a load bearing part of the ceiling. Gitchell says that there was no knowledge of this building error before they fell, and that they had been secure for almost 50 years without ever being replaced.  He says that the installation of the lights is, “Something you would assume was correct,… and upon assumptions things [weren’t] what they’re supposed to be.”

Gitchell states that they have inspected all other schools in the district, “And found that everything was safe,” except for a few undersized fasteners that have been upgraded.

When talking to the head lunch lady, Sandi Chavez, about how it feels to work under those lights everyday for so long, Chavez says she doesn’t believe a lot of damage would have been done. She says that the way the lunch lines are set up, the lights falling would most likely not cause serious injury.

Chavez added that, “It’s always a concern because it could have happened when students were in the building,” but that things like this happen and it was something that couldn’t have been foreseen.

Regardless, whether this is something that is an indication of a larger safety concern lingering throughout the school, or just a fluky accident resulting from negligent building 50 years ago, everyone can thank their lucky stars that the lights fell when no one was in the building.