Student success at Orcutt Academy

Student success at Orcutt Academy

Kyle Maxwell, a sophomore at Orcutt Academy, holds up a good grade

Adelyn Gaither

Adelyn Gaither

Adelyn Gaither

Adelyn Gaither, Reporter

As the first 6 week grading period for Orcutt Academy’s 2018-2019 school year has come and gone, students are relieved to see the school year zooming by. How are the students at Orcutt Academy doing this year in comparison to last year though?

Mr. Carter, principal of Orcutt Academy High School, is very pleased with how students at OA are performing academically this year. Orcutt Academy students below a 2.0 GPA are recruited to attend a program called Intervention. Intervention helps students struggling in their classes to get up their grades and feel more confident in their classes. Mr. Carter states that the numbers of students in Intervention right now is lower than last year’s by about 5 students.

“We have about 25 or 26 students attending Intervention right now,” Mr. Carter happily states, “only 25 or 26 students out of 600 attending the school.” As of the end of the first 6 week grading period, the junior and freshman classes seem to be struggling the most. Mr. Carter is hoping something will motivate these students to work harder and get the help they need in their classes. The senior class, however, has no students in Intervention with all seniors holding  a 2.0 GPA or higher.

Although Mr. Carter usually sees the number of students in Intervention increase as winter and spring seasons come, he is hoping the students who need extra help will work hard to stay above a 2.0 and seek the help they need. Overall, students attending OA are doing amazing after their first 6 week grading period, and we hope to see the number of students struggling go down.