If elected, how will your appointment to the board benefit the school and the community?

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate’s last name.

Laurel Ciervo:

I know that a student is most successful when families and educators work together. I believe that schools are most successful when parents feel listened to and are made part of the educational process. As a board member I would value the opinions of the families in this community. Our certificated and classified staff  work hard to educate the children of Orcutt. I believe in collaboration and communication. As a board member I understand the importance of listening to educators and being present on campuses to see what the issues are.

Shaun Henderson:

“IT’S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS”: I HAVE THE FOLLOWING FOCUS WITH TAKING THIS POSITION: I WILL ASSURE WE KEEP OUR KIDS AND TEACHERS SAFE/SECURE, I WILL ASSURE THE KIDS HAVE A GREAT CURRICULUM WITH ADDED ENRICHMENT AND TECHNOLOGY IN LEARNING AND I WILL ASSURE THAT WE KEEP AN EYE ON THE DISTRICT BUDGET AND HOW MEASURE G FUNDS ARE SPENT. IF ELECTED, I WILL BE A VISIBLE AND ACTIVE BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIVE TO THE COMMUNITY.   I WILL LISTEN TO ALL INTERESTED PERSONS WHETHER STUDENT, ADMINISTRATOR, PARENT, TEACHER, STAFF OR COMMUNITY MEMBER.

Eric Melsheimer:

The Orcutt community showed its support for education by passing Measure G, a $60 million bond to improve Orcutt school facilities. That work began this summer with construction starting on several Orcutt campuses. I feel my background in engineering, construction, management and finance will be beneficial to support the District’s management of these activities. It is important our students get the maximum benefit from this investment by our community. My background has given me a balanced, open-minded perspective. I am a parent and my children have attended Orcutt schools from Kindergarten through 12 th grade. I am a business owner, engineer, and employer. I am also a part-time college instructor, and a community volunteer. I feel this range of experiences will help make me an asset for the Orcutt School Board.

Mark Steller:

I have a strong familiarity of the school district and its issues, so I won’t start from “square one” as a board member. I served on the campaign committee to pass Measure G, and I have testified at County Planning Commission meetings in support of the district’s plan for Key Site 17. I have years of experience with planning and budgeting as a former store manager for Longs Drug Stores; at Longs, I oversaw a $13 million budget, which is a major responsibility. I have a strong connection to the Orcutt Academy through my work with the SOAAR Foundation. I have visited the high school and made presentations in classrooms, and I am completely impressed with the students and staff there. I also have personal relationships with literally hundreds of Orcutt students, parents, and staff who frequent my market and engage in conversations with me every day.

Melanie Waffle:

I think in a society where we are infused with technology, sometimes a simple conversation is the most effective and that is an aspect I can bring to the district. I am very easy to talk to and approachable; I want people to tell me their thoughts and stories. Human relationships and conversation are an essential ingredient and catalyst to healthy development, learning and feeling like you are in a safe space. If parents, students, teachers, staff, community members don’t feel like they can express themselves we are all confined by the limits of our communication and this puts the district at a disadvantage. We can ALWAYS improve this school district and who better to get feedback from than students, teachers, staff and parents? I want to be here for the the staff who keeps our campuses running, the teachers who spend time prepping, the working parent who struggles to find time to grocery shop, the grandparents who fill in and get the kids to their soccer practice, the PTA board who stresses about fundraisers, and the students who are looking for someone to listen.

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in