Discuss what makes you qualified to be a school board member.

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate’s last name.

Laurel Ciervo:

I have been an educator in the Orcutt community for the past 10 years. I have worked as a school counselor, as an administrator and currently as a director of curriculum and student services for Olive Grove Charter School. I have worked in schools from grades K-12. I have also taught at the college level. I currently attend all board meetings at OGCS. I have served on a board in the past and I was a member of the Strategic Planning committee in Orcutt. I am currently a parent to a Kindergarten and 11th grade student in the Orcutt School District and my oldest daughter graduated from OAHS in 2015.

Shaun Henderson:

I FEEL MY BACKGROUND PREPARES ME FOR THIS ROLE.

BUSINESS MANAGEMENT/OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE OF OVER 35 YEARS AND HANDLING LARGE BUDGETS ALONG WITH PROFIT AND LOSS STATEMENTS. THIS ALSO INCLUDES EXPERIENCE IN FACILITY MANAGEMENT, HUMAN RESOURCES, PAYROLL, AND MANAGING A BUSINESS WITH OVER 300 EMPLOYEES.

MY EXPERIENCES WITH MY CHILDREN HAVING ATTENDED SIX SCHOOLS IN THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT AND THE UNDERSTANDING OF THOSE FACILITIES. I ALSO HAVE ESTABLISHED RELATIONSHIPS WITH MANY ON THE DISTRICT STAFF WHICH I ESTABLISHED WHILE MY CHILDREN ATTENDED SCHOOLS THAT THEY WERE ASSIGNED.

MY EXPERIENCE BEING ON BOARDS OF NUMEROUS NON PROFITS AND HOW WE DEALT WITH VARIOUS ISSUES SUCH AS FACILITIES, HUMAN RESOURCES, ETC.

I AM ALSO THE TREASURER OF MY HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION WHERE WE DEAL WITH BUDGETS WITH RESERVES AND FACILITIES.

Eric Melsheimer:

For the past 20 years I have been involved in our schools and community. I have served on Advisory Boards for Cal Poly and Allan Hancock. I am on the Measure G Citizens Oversight Committee and currently serve as President of the Orcutt Children’s Arts Foundation. I graduated from California public schools and from Princeton and Stanford Universities. As an engineer I learned problem solving skills. Having taught at AHC, I see the challenges and rewards of teaching. As a business owner and employer, I understand the necessity of education to prepare students for 21st century jobs and to be contributing citizens. My company, Melfred Borzall, has made supporting education a priority. We have supported robotics, choir and athletics at OAHS and regularly participate in Career Days, demonstrating welding and engineering. Melfred Borzall has a strong internship program and we have been privileged to have several OAHS summer interns.

Mark Steller:

I am well connected to the Orcutt community. I am president of the Old Orcutt Merchants Association (OOMA), vice-president of the Supporting Orcutt Academy’s Academic Resources (SOAAR) Foundation, and a board member of the Orcutt Community Foundation (Orcutt Christmas Parade). With the Orcutt Union School District, I have been Principal for a Day several times, I am a longtime volunteer for junior high school community interviews, and I even was named the district’s 2015 Business Partner of the Year. My business career, 14 years as a local store owner and 23 years with Longs Drug Stores, brings with it experience in hiring and training, forecasting and implementing multi-million dollar budgets, decision making with complicated issues, and the ability to listen, counsel, collaborate, and interact with literally thousands of people. Finally, being a parent of two children with special needs has given me empathy for all students and parents.

Melanie Waffle:

I have a BA in Social Science which has been a huge asset to me in communicating with a variety of people. I have been the Manager of my family business for over 15 years and have the unique experience of running a business as well as making crucial and informed decisions. I believe that kindness is contagious and volunteerism is important in the community, therefore I spend time volunteering for the Santa Barbara County Animal Shelter with my daughter and am a committee member for the Santa Barbara County Stand Down. I act as a Board Member of SOAAR and am the Orcutt Academy K-8 PTSA Merchant Partner Chairperson. I have also served on the Orcutt Youth Softball Association

Board. Equally as important, I am an active parent in this district with 2 students and many more years to go.

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in