What is the motivating factor for you in your run for school board?

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate’s last name.

Laurel Ciervo:

I have worked in education for 15 years, 8 of those in Orcutt schools. As a current Curriculum Director at the district level, I work with schools from SLO to Santa Barbara. My campaign to be on the Orcutt Union School Board stems from a desire to meet the needs of our students and staff, to provide adequate counseling, safety, and accountability for Measure G. I am familiar with Orcutt Schools and plan to continue a hands-on approach by making regular visits to all sites and meeting with staff to ensure that all kids needs are being met. As a mother of Orcutt students and a former counselor in Orcutt schools, I will be able to make informed decisions that will improve our district for all.

Eric Melsheimer:

I believe in the importance of public education. It prepares youth for good jobs in a global economy and is essential for active citizenship in a democratic society. Orcutt’s excellent schools are one of the main reasons our family first moved to this community. Our two daughters have grown up in the Orcutt schools and have benefited from excellent teachers, a committed staff and a supportive community. As a School Board Member, I hope to be able to provide skills, experience and representation to ensure that excellence continues.

Shaun Henderson: 

I CARE ABOUT THE ORCUTT SCHOOL DISTRICT WHERE MY CHILDREN HAVE GONE TO SCHOOL FOR OVER 19 YEARS. WE HAVE GREAT TEACHERS WHO MOLD OUR CHILDREN TO BE GREAT STUDENTS. THESE CHILDREN ATTEND CALIFORNIA DISTINGUISHED AND NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SCHOOLS THAT I BELIEVE CAN CONTINUE TO BE JUST THAT. WE HAVE THREE OPENINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING AND I WANT TO FILL ONE OF THOSE OPENINGS ON NOVEMBER 6TH. I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THAT IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOMETHING DONE A CERTAIN WAY THEN YOU SHOULD VOLUNTEER TO DO IT. I HAVE DONE THAT WITH COACHING SPORTS IN THE COMMUNITY AND MY TIME HAS ENDED WITH THAT. NOW I FEEL IT IS THE RIGHT TIME TO TURN MY ATTENTION TO A NEW VENTURE. I WILL USE MY BUSINESS BACKGROUND AND NON PROFIT BOARD EXPERIENCE IN DOING SO. “ITS ALL ABOUT THE KIDS”: I HAVE THE FOLLOWING FOCUS WITH TAKING THIS POSITION: I WILL ASSURE WE KEEP OUR KIDS AND TEACHERS SAFE/SECURE, I WILL ASSURE THE KIDS HAVE A GREAT CURRICULUM WITH ADDED ENRICHMENT AND TECHNOLOGY IN LEARNING AND I WILL ASSURE THAT WE KEEP AN EYE ON THE DISTRICT BUDGET AND HOW MEASURE G FUNDS ARE SPENT.

Mark Steller:

I love the Orcutt Union School District and have a lifelong affiliation with it. I attended Patterson Road School and Lakeview Junior High School, and my four children attended Pine Grove, Joe Nightingale, Ralph Dunlap, Lakeview JHS, and Orcutt JHS. I am now a grandfather, and having two granddaughters, although not in this school district, has rekindled my passion for quality public education. In addition, the timing is right for me to seek a seat on the school board. For the past 10 years I have been encouraged to run for the school board by many parents and district employees, so the thought always has intrigued me. At this point in my life, with my children all grown and my business, Old Town Market, running smoothly, it’s the perfect time for me to serve.

Melanie Waffle:

I felt motivated to run for this position because I want to be involved in the decisions that affect the students, parents, teachers, staff and other community members in our school district. I have a well rounded perspective of things being in business management for over 15 years and being a current parent of children in the District. I communicate with people on a daily basis at meetings, school and non-school functions, work and after school. When concerns need to be raised, questions need to be asked and changes need to be discussed, I would like to be a part of finding out the answers.

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in