Taking the “fun” out of fundraising

Taking the “fun” out of fundraising

The class of 2019 has had a few BBQ's, this one was in September of 2017. Pictured: Shara Bernier, Sarah Castellanos, Mrs. Williams

Orcutt Academy High School student organizations hold many fundraisers each year, but over the years, these fundraisers have become less creative and more repetitive.

One of the things Orcutt Academy seems to be known for is having no money (mostly because we happen to be located on a campus previously designated as an elementary school). Therefore, every sport, club, and class is left to fend for themselves when it comes to funds, and because of this, there are fundraisers happening constantly. There has already been a dozen fundraisers as of this year alone. Last year there were over 100 fundraisers, and this year is set to reach about the same amount.

As the class of 2019 vice president, I know all about the struggles of planning fundraisers and just trying to raise money in general; it can be hard to try to think of something that follows school guidelines and appeals to students. It was simple back when we were able to sell root beer floats every week, and when club and multicultural days were less strict, for example.

Last year, there were nutrition guidelines implemented by the district in order to make schools healthier. However, with many fundraisers previously being centered around different kinds of food (because what high school student doesn’t love food?), this put a damper on many of the fundraisers that used to occur here at Orcutt Academy. Now, instead of selling food items before or after school, there are only a select number of different fundraisers that can be done, and only certain types of “healthy” foods can be sold. I know that I, for one, do not want to eat dinner at Chipotle every single night.

With these guidelines, it has become even more difficult for clubs and classes to raise funds. When these guidelines were implemented, the class of 2019 had to come up with alternative methods to raise funds for senior activities. This lead to my class having to follow the mainstream of fundraisers a bit more. More Chipotle and Panda Express nights, more chocolate sales, more barbeques; the same things done by every other club.

In short, I don’t believe that there are too many fundraisers, there are just too many similar ones. When we were allowed to sell food of our choice, the fundraisers were much more diverse. If Orcutt Academy wants its students to have the benefit of accessible sports equipment and money for different club and class activities, more diverse fundraisers should be allowed.