Filed under Showcase, Sports

Melani Amarasekara serves up a new season of girls tennis

Courtesy of Santa Maria Times. Amarasekara is pictured here playing tennis during a match.

Santa Maria Times

Santa Maria Times

Santa Maria Times

Orcutt Academy sophomore, Melani Amarasekara, is ready to drive her tennis team to success with her racket skills.

New year, new format! Girls’ tennis season started this late August, and has a new format for the girls. “The format has six-doubles and three-singles this year. Those are just the tennis positions.”

Returning from last year, Amarasekara looks forwards on improving on her tennis position as a “five-single” and a “two-double.” Since this her second year on the team, Amarasekara wants to learn from other members on the team with a higher experience.

“There’s only going to be four members returning next year, and the majority of the team are seniors. I want to improve to lead my team next year, because there might be a lot of newcomers.”

Not only is Amarasekara looking to improve to lead the team, but the tennis team is often competing with more experienced and difficult tennis teams in the state.

“My overall goal this year for my team and I is to just try our best. I know they’re more experienced teams out there, but it’s always fun to put in the effort in a good game.”

Last year, as a freshman, Amarasekara originally wanted to join the tennis team with her friends, in hopes of creating a junior varsity girls’ tennis team. However, she was the only one to make it into varsity and decided to go through with it. Everything turned out for the better, since her favorite part of the team is bonding with her teammates. “Even though we don’t see each other around at school, once we hit the courts, it’s like we’re a family. There’s always positive energy at the games and it motivates me to take home the win for my team.”

This year, Amarasekara hopes that the tennis games will be broadcasted more via the school announcements or social media. “Having a crowd at the games will hype up the players. I think it will definitely motivate us all to push beyond our limits.” So far, the turnout at the games have been underwhelming and Amarasekara hopes to improve on that this year.

Not only does she want Orcutt Academy to announce the upcoming games, but she also would want future tryouts and practices to be announced. “Last year I don’t even think that the tryouts were announced. I had to find out for myself. I feel like the reason why our team is smaller is because there wasn’t a lot of people at tryouts. If tryouts were more broadcasted, hopefully more people would’ve been interested.”

Before this year’s season ends, make sure to show some love to the girls’ tennis team at their games! Make sure to listen in on when and where the games are happening. The Spartan Oracle wishes Amarasekara the best of luck this season and cannot wait to see how she performs.

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

Hey Spartans, my name is Tiffany Vuong and I am currently a sophomore. This is my first year writing for the Spartan Oracle, and I couldn´t be more thrilled....