Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Spartan Bowl II

Spartan Bowl II

The school year has come to an end and what better way to finish off the year than to have our Second Annual Spartan Bowl or “Spartan Bowl II,” as Mr. Verch calls it. This year, the seniors defended their title as the juniors challenged them and put up a noble fight until the very end. The Seniors won the battle at 20-8, but their win did not come easy.

The game started off extremely competitive as both the juniors and seniors could not seem to score on each other. When either team had the ball, their opponent’s defense was stronger, leaving a scoreless first quarter. It was during the second quarter where the seniors kicked it up a notch and scored two touchdowns, one by Emilie Evensmoen and the other by football veteran, Allison Fenske. However, the juniors weren’t going down without a fight, and on the very last play of the first half, they clapped back with an amazing touchdown run by Alexx Asencio to put six points on the board.

The juniors, fired up and ready to go, gave the second half a legendary beginning. The junior defense came out ready to play and put an end to the seniors first defensive drive with zero positive yards. On the last play of the drive, Allison Britt read the seniors’ play like a book and downed Allison Fenske in their own endzone, causing a defensive safety that added on two points to the juniors’ score. The score of 14-8 remained the same for the rest of the game until the fourth quarter. With only 2 minutes to go, Mairen Van Dellen made a game clinching interception that then led to a momentous drive and a final touchdown, finalizing the score at 20-8.

This was a very entertaining game as both teams came to play, but this year the seniors came out with the win. See you next year for Spartan Bowl III!

Robert Jimenez, Reporter

My name is Robert Jimenez, and I am a junior at Orcutt Academy this year. At school I am the president of the Class of 2019, an FCC mentor, a member of...