Filed under News, Showcase

North Korea peace talks

North Korea peace talks

Kim Jong-un is the first leader of North Korea to set foot in South Korea, in pursuit of peace.

South Korea, allied with The United States of America, has officially been at war since 1950. In 1953, the nations signed an armistice, in order to cease the active war between them. However, there was never an official peace treaty, meaning there has always been hostile feelings between the two sides.

The election of Donald Trump led to increased hostile feelings between North Korea and the U.S., as Trump strongly advocated for the denuclearization of North Korea. Jong-un responded with defiance, boasting of their nuke’s range and power. This led to name calling between Trump and Jong-un, furthering increasing the bitterness between the countries.

The pent up hostility from the Korean War recently made progress towards ending, as Kim Jong-un ventured to South Korea to attempt to end their war. South Korean leader President Moon talked with Jong-un, towards the end of April, on fixing relations between the countries. Moon claimed North Korea will abandon their nuclear arsenal and research if the United States formally ends the Korean War and guarantee that North Korea is safe from United States invasion.

Trump’s advisors have carefully been pondering the offer, seeking the best way to negotiate with North Korea. Many praise Trump for his efforts to make peace with North Korea, even being considered for the nobel peace prize. Many disagree.

However, many critics and people of America are concerned.

Orcutt Academy junior Derek Tjaden believes Trump doesn’t deserve his praise, but rather wants South Korea and China to get recognition. Emily Hinkle, also a junior here, claims the truce is ineffective and will not make America as safe as it is perceived. Many officials agree, claiming Jong-un may be speaking in order to get what he wants. North Korea wants the U.S. sanctions on their city to be lifted, offering denuclearization in response.

In a statement, Jong-un cited that,  “[He] is not the kind of person to who would shoot nuclear weapons to the south, pacific or United States.” North Korea has made many similar offers in the past, but hasn’t held true to their word, making threats even after promises of peace. This led to skepticism from America, and hesitation from accepting North Korea’s terms.

As of Thursday, May 24th, The United States canceled it’s North Korea summit, and has yet to reach a deal as to when the meeting shall take place.

What are your thoughts, Spartans. Should the United States seek peace with North Korea, or remain steadfast until we negotiate the terms we want?

Aidan Soares, Reporter

My name is Aidan Soares and I am an ambitious student. I joined the track team freshman year, throwing shot put and discus, and plan to be on the track...