Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Don’t test me

Tests are an inaccurate way of measuring one’s intelligence. They merely make students feel stressed and affect their grades in a negative way.

I personally hate tests, since I tend to be bad at them. I am in high level classes, 4 AP classes and 1 honors class. My GPA is relatively high, currently a 4.75. However, I am really bad at tests and they constantly lower my grade. I get stressed due to the tension a test carries because they completely change a class. Strict time limits that come with test taking make me rush through the whole thing to complete it rather than spending adequate time on each question.

Furthermore, tests only partially test a student’s knowledge and ability to memorize a certain unit of a subject. This holds to be true after the test, since most students cram the night before taking one. This allows for a decent test grade, yet that’s all most people aim for. The majority of people will forget how to do certain parts of a test, since they crammed their studying and knowledge of a subject hours prior, rather than trying to understand it.

Tests don’t necessarily apply to real world careers either. For example, an engineer doesn’t need to memorize the physics or complex math equations required in every aspect of their job. They can look up what they need when they need it, similar to student’s using a textbook.

Removing tests would alleviate some student’s stress in their life, which would help a lot considering how much students have to worry about already. Alternatives can include projects that display an understanding of a subject and mandating oral presentations rather than making students memorize rules, equations, or words for a test grade. Ultimately, there are various other ways teachers can monitor a student’s growth and academic progress.

As a result of many students voicing their disdain for test-taking, I believe many students would agree with my opinion on ridding of tests in high schools altogether.