Pros and cons: extra credit

Pros and cons: extra credit

April 8, 2018

As the six-week grading period comes to a close, grades weigh heavily on many students minds. In a last ditch effort to raise their grades from at least a D to an A, some desperate students look to extra credit as their saving grace. This being the case, the Spartan Oracle sought out two students with opposing opinions to answer this divisive question: should teachers offer extra credit?

Pros of extra credit

Extra credit provides an opportunity that students should both have and use. Extra credit helps students raise their grades, gives them the advantage to keep their grades up, and teachers love it when students take the initiative to complete extra credit projects.

Extra Credit should be given at schools, because it’s an opportunity to raise grades. Students who may be failing a class need extra credit so they can pass and graduate high school. For students who are trying their best but still can’t get past a C, extra credit gives them the opportunity to be able to raise their grade.

Extra credit also helps students who have good grades keep those grades up. If a person had a 89.7% in a class and doing an extra credit project would get them to a 90.7%, then they should do the assignment. Being able to raise a grade from a B to an A makes a huge impact on a students GPA. Students deserve opportunities to raise their GPA in any way they can because it’s really important to have a high GPA for colleges to see.

Another benefit of extra credit is that teachers love when students take the initiative in raising their grades. Teachers want to have students succeed in everything and if that means grading one more assignment then they will do it.

Extra credit should be provided at schools because it helps students who are struggling, it keeps GPA high, and it makes teachers proud to see students taking initiative in raising their grades. Extra credit is something we need to take advantage of and schools should keep allowing it.