Filed under Showcase, Sports

Band? PE Credits?

Physical education is inescapable. Every student must obtain PE credits to graduate. However, there is a variety of ways to receive those credits; one such way is actually band.

According to California Education Code Section 51242, individual school districts may choose whether or not marching band is applicable for a physical education credit. The Orcutt Union School District says yes. However, there is one crucial stipulation. The student must take band all four years of high school. None of this jumping in with the flute your parents bought you in the fifth grade, thinking it will get you out of a semester of PE. The credit only applies to the students who have participated in band from freshman to senior year.

The credit is also referring specifically to marching band which occurs the first the semester of the school year. Students are not earning physical education for concert band, so untwist your jockstraps, all ye naysayers. Junior and six year trumpet player Trenton Kozel states that, while not as strenuous as other sports, “[marching band] is definitely difficult.”

OAHS Marching Band

Some disagree with band receiving a PE credit while others are excited for it, but the credit actually means little in the grand scheme of avoiding physical education. As it always is with PE, if a student only has the one required year of freshman PE, the student must enroll in PE during his or her senior year. The counselors require this just in case a student is injured or drops out of his or her chosen sport before earning the necessary credits, lest he or she fail to graduate. Since the band credit only counts senior year, it is assumed and strongly encouraged that the student already obtained the mandatory PE credits in a different way.

Overall, band members earning a PE credit for four years of dedication and effort does not seem particularly offensive. The Orcutt Academy culture has an odd way of simultaneously awarding the nontraditional routes to acclaim like robotics or choir while also being enraged by it. Those who are upset about band receiving a single PE credit are the people who feel personally slighted when a student letters in academics. In the long run, PE credits for band members will make a very slight ripple in the consciousness of the students. Live and let live or live and don’t be upset by marching band getting a single physical education credit.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Band? PE Credits?”

1. Aidan Soares on March 22nd, 2018 8:07 AM

I think a student should receive P.E. credit if they put in adequate work to deserve it. 4 years of marching band easily equates to P. E. credit.

2. Rachel Golden on March 22nd, 2018 8:27 AM

I love this article! I like that while many people balk at the idea of band students receiving P.E. credit it looks logically at the situation and doesn’t immediately reject the idea.

3. Michael Shaw on March 22nd, 2018 8:28 AM

Quote of the week: “None of this jumping in with the flute your parents bought you in the fifth grade, thinking it will get you out of a semester of PE. “

• Band? PE Credits?

Mo’ students mo’ problems: Orcutt Academy’s class size problem

• Band? PE Credits?

Homecoming is not overrated

• Band? PE Credits?

Video Announcements

October 17, 2018

• Band? PE Credits?

Expressions

The Joy Of Photography

• Band? PE Credits?

Imbalance in AP classes around America, even at Orcutt Academy?

• Band? PE Credits?

Fundraising for your future

• Band? PE Credits?

SPIN your way into good grades

• Band? PE Credits?

Just in time for fall: P.H.E.W review

• Band? PE Credits?

Expressions

Sierra Skinner’s love for art continues

• Band? PE Credits?

Marcos Gonzalez- P.H.E.W. review

Band? PE Credits?