Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Cons of the awards rallies

While students who have excelled academically should be recognized, Orcutt Academy should not alienate students who did not reach such recognizable merit, which is permissible through the academic awards rally. OA should encourage all students to work hard and try their best in their academics, but should rid of academic awards rallies altogether.

In terms of scheduling, changing an entire day, in which a single period is 44 minutes, is completely unnecessary and a waste of time. Cramming 300+ students into bleachers, who don’t necessarily want to be there in the first place, is something that should be considered more by OA teachers and administration whenever they wish to schedule an awards rally. The main idea is that while some students receive pins, a t-shirt, and a handshake from teachers for their achievements, other students have to sit back, watch, and receive nothing. If that’s the case, why not just have an awards rally for the students who are going to actually receive recognition? The latter solution would reduce a student’s feeling of irritation and isolation.

Every student learns and progresses at their own rate. While one student can study very little, retain everything taught in class, and manage to receive a 3.5 GPA or higher, there are certainly many other students at OA who may consistently study but still struggle with their academics.

So how fair is it to recognize students who are inclined to understand their academics effortlessly than students who might barely miss the 3.5 GPA mark, yet still work hard and pull late nights? One can never truly determine the true work ethic of a student, but what OA teachers and staff can do is consider an alternative to academic awards rallies, or dismiss them in their entirety.

There is more behind each hard-fought grade than any reward can recognize.

Eston Williams, Reporter

Hey Everyone! My name is Eston Williams and I am currently a senior attending Orcutt Academy. I have a job at the beautiful Presqu’ile Winery where I...

1 Comment

One Response to “Cons of the awards rallies”

1. Brenda Williams on March 20th, 2018 11:17 AM

I disagree. You are assuming the students who don’t receive an award don’t want to be there. Have you ever known a student to not look for an excuse to get out of class? That aside, I asked a student who didn’t receive an award what he thought of the rally. To my surprise he said he thought it was great and that he was going to try harder this semester to improve his grades. He even said he talked to his teacher to ask how he can achieve that goal. I believe that is the heart behind our administration’s decision to honor the students who have worked hard to get a 3.5 or higher in front of the peers. That possibly it will encourage all students to try their hardest.

Yes, this is one opinion out of 600, but then again…so is yours.

Love,

Mom

• Cons of the awards rallies

Is everyone judging you?

• Cons of the awards rallies

Classic literature: blessing or curse?

• Cons of the awards rallies

The not-so-secret network of students running our schools

• Cons of the awards rallies

California’s natural wonders

• Cons of the awards rallies

Yasss Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody is magnifico-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

• Cons of the awards rallies

Crusty on the outside, tender on the inside

• Cons of the awards rallies

Empty-handed upperclassmen

• Cons of the awards rallies

There’s plenty of “Room” for this book on your shelf

• Cons of the awards rallies

Crazy little thing called Bohemian Rhapsody

• Cons of the awards rallies

What’s there to do on a Friday night?

Cons of the awards rallies