DACA deadline (well kind of).

Leyton Blackwell, Reporter

Imagine having a homework assignment with no clear due date or even multiply due dates. Would you do it early or procrastinate on it? Well this is the problem that the government is facing with DACA.

On March 5, 2018 the DACA program that was put in place by an executive order under President Obama to protect children who came to America illegally came to an end. When President Trump originally ended DACA he gave a six month period to end the program with the hope that congress would make the program more permanent by an act of congress instead of by an executive order.  Well congress didn’t act and the program ended (in a way), but there are many reason that congress didn’t act.

President Trump tried to bring the parties together by giving them a bipartisan solution. The president told congress he would want a bill to give citizenship status to 1.8 million illegal children (only 800,000 people are on DACA), but the bill would also have to include funding for the border wall and an end to chain migration. Even though this bill sounded like every  party got what they wanted it ended up failing because both parties feared backlash. Republicans feared backlash from conservative voters who are typically against amnesty if they gave citizenship status to 1.8 million illegal immigrants. While Democrats feared backlash because they would let a border wall be built which they had been campaign against since 2015 and limiting immigration to this country which most liberal voters are very pro-immigration.

With all this fighting in congress and no bill advancing the judiciary stepped in to clear things up and also make things more confusing. On January 9, 2018 a federal judge in San Francisco ruled that the Trump administration must continue to renew legal status of DACA recipients already on the program, but the ruling doesn’t apply to first time applicants, so the program has closed to people who are already not given DACA status.  President Trump then appealed this ruling to the Supreme Court in hope that they would over turn the lower federal court’s ruling, but the Supreme Court didn’t take up his case so the San Francisco ruling still stands. That’s not the end though, on Monday March 5th a Maryland federal judge ruled that the President can end the program, but the other rulings still stand.

In the end to clear up all this confusion; first congress has more time to act, but the new deadline is unclear because the new deadline will be after all legal fights which may take a while since now the Trump administration have to appeal to the ninth and second circuit of the United States Court of Appeals, then the Supreme Court. Second, current DACA recipients can renew their status but illegal immigrants who have not been on DACA or planned on applying later no longer can and risk deportation. Third, both parties risk great backlash if they give into a bipartisan solution. To sum everything up DACA is a mess.