You should have spirit

Leyton Blackwell, Reporter

Are you tired of teachers always telling you to participate in your school and make the best of your high school experience? Well you should listen to them because it will help you.

First off, a majority of high school students participate in extracurricular activities. According to the Census Bureau Report, 6 out of 10 students participate in extracurricular activities. Extracurricular activities have a lot of positives associated with them. For example participating in extracurricular activities can help you get into college, help you get scholarships, and help you enjoy your high school years. This is no surprise that 60% of students participate in school activities.

Another reason to participate in extracurricular activities is that according to the National Center for Education Statistics, extracurricular participation is positively associated with the success of high schools seniors. School is all about success and extracurricular activities may push you to be more successful. One way we can see this at Orcutt Academy is students required to have certain GPAs in order to participate in sports or other activities like robotics, National Honors Society (NHS), and California Scholarship Federation (CSF).

Extracurricular activities can also help you graduate. Here at Orcutt Academy, we have a requirement that you need 40 hours of community service to graduate. On campus, there are many clubs that can help you get these 40 hours and beyond. Interact club, National Honor Society, and California Scholarship Federation all are community service based clubs and they are focused on giving back to the community. Other clubs on campus may not be solely focused on community service, but do community service projects like Christian club. Extracurricular activities can get you graduation requirements

There is so much evidence that extracurricular activities contribute to people’s that you should participate in them. If you aren’t in any extracurricular activities, go visit a club or try out a sport; it may help you in the long run.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “You should have spirit”

1. Rachel Golden on March 12th, 2018 9:20 AM

Way to show different extracurricular activities and the importance of them! Extracurricular activities are a large part of our school and it’s great to see someone showing how important they are.

2. Michi Hinders on March 12th, 2018 9:27 AM

Great article! Make sure to check out Debate Club on Thursdays at lunch in room 7!

• You should have spirit

P.H.E.W. Review- Nicholas Carlson

• Opinions

Top 10: Netflix originals

• You should have spirit

Top 10: TLC shows

• You should have spirit

Top 10: Breakup lines

• You should have spirit

Top 10: Most overplayed songs

• You should have spirit

Top 10: Breads

• You should have spirit

Best vacation spots to visit over summer!!

• You should have spirit

Cons of waterparks

• You should have spirit

Water parks: A staple of any good summer vacation.

• You should have spirit

PCPA’s the Hunchback of Notre Dame takes the stage

You should have spirit