Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Everything wrong with the Orcutt Academy bathrooms

Bathrooms serve the purpose of providing a clean, safe environment to relieve yourself. Unfortunately, the Orcutt Academy male bathrooms are neither clean, nor safe, as many students have reported.

I have used both male restroom facilities provided to students at Orcutt Academy and have come to notice that the ongoing bathroom problems make both students and staff at fault.
Here are a few of the issues in each of the boys’ bathrooms: there is graffiti on the stalls and tiles, wet toilet paper frequently hangs from the ceiling, and on the floor is sticky urine from those who have completely missed the urinals. As students, we have no one else to blame but ourselves for the untidy and extremely disgusting environment, but I also want to point out what the staff could do to make our bathrooms more “high school appropriate.”

Because Orcutt Academy was originally an elementary school, it makes sense that we might have some things that other high schools don’t, such as a playground. But, things that we should not have are shrunken toilets and sinks. The urinals and toilets in our bathrooms were made for kids between ages five and eleven. Now, we have adults using miniaturized toilets because the bathrooms were never updated.

Another aspect of our bathrooms that needs to be improved is the maintenance they recieve. Conditions aren’t as bad in the hallway bathrooms as the only items often missing are toilet paper rolls in the stalls, or soap in the dispensers. But, in the boys’ bathroom out back by the biology lab, we are missing so much more. For starters, the soap dispenser, and one of the mirrors have disappeared and have not been replaced in an appropriate amount of time. Also, the faucets are not even attached to the sink bowls, and have been like that for a long period of time without repair. Lastly, the handicap stall has been without a lock for more than three years. Problems like this should be solved immediately, but for some reason they either take longer than they should, or aren’t addressed at all.

The bathrooms at Orcutt Academy are definitely not the nicest bathrooms in the world, but it is safe to say that if both students and staff take responsibility, they someday could be.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Everything wrong with the Orcutt Academy bathrooms”

1. Payton Andreadakis on March 6th, 2018 7:58 AM

I strongly agree. We really need to renovate our bathrooms and teach the students a better sense of sanitation.

2. Simone Kucska on March 6th, 2018 10:20 PM

As a parent , this situation concerns me. The student described the untidiness of the bathrooms, which is sad, however the issue of safety, seemingly more important, was not described. What could we do ? An extra fundraiser? Which red tape has to be cut to make such necessary improvements happen in a short amount of time? I for sure agree students share a responsibility for the situation; maybe a social media appeal at the school level? It may sound silly, but these kids have so many ideas and power to mobilize using these resources that I think it is worth a try!

3. Trent Carroll on March 12th, 2018 9:00 AM

The maintenance of the bathrooms have gone way up sine this article! The bathrooms look way cleaner and there are actually locks on all the stalls and mirrors in the bathroom now. Keep up the good work dude.

4. Aidan Soares on March 12th, 2018 9:01 AM

The handicap stall in the bathrooms near the bio lab has now been fixed, the door now closes properly and has a lock.

5. Trenton Kozel on March 12th, 2018 9:04 AM

I definitely advocate for multiple adult-sized urinals with dividing walls. Right now, there are eight children-sized urinals which barely see use due to their lack of privacy. The accommodations disgust me and in my three years at this school I am appalled that action hasn’t been taken.

• Everything wrong with the Orcutt Academy bathrooms

P.H.E.W. Review- Nicholas Carlson

• Opinions

Top 10: Netflix originals

Top 10: TLC shows

Top 10: Breakup lines

Top 10: Most overplayed songs

Top 10: Breads

Best vacation spots to visit over summer!!

Cons of waterparks

Water parks: A staple of any good summer vacation.

PCPA’s the Hunchback of Notre Dame takes the stage