The cons of extra credit

Rachel Golden, Reporter

Extra credit is an opportunity many students look forward to in their classes. It can boost their grades at the end of the semester, making them seem a little better to the school, their parents, and prospective colleges. However, there are negative sides to extra credit opportunities, as they give students a cushion for other assignments to not be quite as important.

One of the drawbacks to extra credit is that it adds an easy way out for students who don’t put effort into their other assignments. They could speed through normal assignments without caring, then do the same with extra credit and get better grades because of it.

Students who know extra credit is a possibility might not try as hard in the course. They could be comforted by the fact that there will be extra credit offered at the end of the semester, and not worry about missing a few points, or even an entire assignment. Extra credit offers a cushion for those who don’t put their best effort into assignments.

Some extra credit doesn’t come in the form of assignments. Sometimes teachers award students extra credit for winning a game or doing something better than another class. This can be unfair to students who work hard, because it makes it possible for students who don’t try at all to get better grades while hardly doing any work.

Assigning extra credit creates more work for teachers. Some teachers take a lot of time to grade assignment as it is, and extra credit assignments can make that take longer. If they have actual assignments still to grade, why bother adding more work and causing students to wait even longer for their grades?