Should students receive grades?

Should students receive grades?

The pros and cons of America's grading system

February 18, 2018

With the six-week grading period coming to a close, grades are on all students’ minds. This being the case, the Spartan Oracle decided to examine two students’ opinions on how important grades actually are.

Getty Images/Comstock Images

Why students need grades

Students should have grades not because they are beneficial, but because they are necessary.

In America, the letter grade standardizes a students academic performance and participation into one of five common ranks: A, B, C, D, or F. As the most widespread grading scale for secondary schools in the U.S., the letter grade method is necessary for holding students accountable, gauging their performance, and ensuring standards are met.

Grades certify that students uphold personal excellence through positive and negative reinforcement. It is simple logic; when a student completes an assignment successfully they are rewarded with a high grade, just as when the student fails to meet the criteria, they are served the consequence of a low grade. With reinforcement from both sides of the spectrum, the student will find that the more beneficial outcome is maintaining academic achievement.

Another essential gain of letter grades is that they allow students and teachers to gauge their own performance. For example, if a student is working hard to earn a high grade in a class, but consistently receives low marks, there is obviously an inconsistency with performance. In this case, the low grade isn’t a consequence, but a sign that the student hasn’t fully grasped the learning material. At that point, even the low grade can be helpful in pointing out what the student does not understand, and allowing them to hone in on that area.

In a similar fashion, teachers can use the grade trends of their class to receive an overall idea of what lessons their students may or may not understand. When it comes to a graded assignment, if a majority of the class unexpectedly performs poorly, then it may be considered that the students hadn’t fully learned the concept. As a teacher notices such a trend, it is then their role to reflect on their teaching and ask if it could have been connected to the low grades. If so, those grades provide a helpful tool in improving the lesson.

Those who oppose letter grades have a valid argument in that grades don’t always reflect effort, but it is not to say they can’t. Grading based off participation is a fine way of recording student engagement. This way students are alert and aware of their contribution to the class. But, it is not effective to grade off of participation alone.

Grades based on assessment scores are necessary to guarantee standards are met. When students graduate from high school there needs to be certainty that they actually learned the lessons the were taught. It would be silly if a student graduated because they simply participated in their math class, but couldn’t actually solve an algebra problem. Grades provide answers like a magic-eight ball. Can student number one define the slope of a line? It is decidedly so, they received an A.

Overall, it is important that people stop basing educational problems on grades, and start seeing their value in American schools.