Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Why was Kylie Jenner’s pregnancy kept secret?

On February 3, 2018, TV personality-star Kylie Jenner announced her birth to Stormi Webster, her first baby girl (and child), with rapper Travis Scott. For those of you who are completely uninterested with the lives of the Kardashian/Jenner family, you may be asking yourselves why anyone cares. Well, the reason why she kept her pregnancy private may have you feeling otherwise.

The majority of the public is so accustomed to having the scoop on every little detail occurring in the Kardashian/Jenner life, so when rumors of Kylie’s pregnancy began circling around, the media and public went berserk. Assumptions of all sorts began to rise, but the question everyone wanted answered remained: was she actually pregnant?

In the beginning, I thought it was just another rumor the media had begun. Kim Kardashian, Kylie’s half sister, had recently announced she was having her third child via surrogate, and rumors of Khloe Kardashian being pregnant were also roaming. Because of this, the possibility of Kylie being pregnant as well seemed highly unlikely. However, the rumors continued, and nobody was denying them.

I then thought, “Well, it has to be true. If it isn’t, why isn’t anybody saying so?” The thought of it all being a publicity stunt still floated in the back of my head, but for the most part, all signs pointed to Kylie actually being pregnant.

Then, on February 3rd, Kylie released a video titled, “To Our Daughter,” dedicated to the child she had with Travis Scott two days prior. However, I wasn’t surprised to find out the rumors were true. Instead, I was confused as to why nobody addressed it if it had been true all along. After all, she went through an entire pregnancy and birth of a child without the public knowing for sure whether she was actually pregnant or not. So why?

Soon after posting the video, Kylie sent out a post on her Instagram saying exactly why she went about the pregnancy the way she did: From her post, Kylie wrote: “I understand you’re used to me bringing you along on all my journeys. My pregnancy was one I chose not to do in front of the world… I knew my baby would feel every stress and every emotion so I chose to do it this way for my little life and our happiness.”

Kylie also shared, “I knew for myself I needed to prepare for this role of a lifetime in the most positive, stress-free, and healthy way I knew.” Friends and family of Kylie shared in her “To Our Daughter” video that Kylie has made it apparent she wanted to be a mother for many years, and she was absolutely positive about having Stormi.

I believe Kylie did the responsible thing for the baby and herself. The youngest Jenner was aware of the stress that came with being in the public eye, and decided not to bring her baby into any of that. With her responsibility and passion about having a child, I have no doubt that Kylie will be a wonderful mother.

Here’s a link to Kylie’s tribute video to her new child: