Filed under News, Showcase

Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

With tickets on sale, and prom coming up fast, the Spartan Oracle decided to compare prom preparations at other local schools. Prom is definitely the most well known high school dance, but no one ever asks about fundraising and prices in comparison to other schools.

I tried reaching out to Righetti and Saint Joe’s to see what information I can get. Unfortunately, I was not able to get ahold of those in charge of prom at Righetti, but I was able to retrieve some interesting information from the activities director at Saint Joe’s. Jessie Borchin disclosed to this reporter that the way they pay for prom at Saint Joe’s is very unique, because they do not run fundraisers like we do here at Orcutt Academy. The average ticket price over the past years has been around $100 at Saint Joe’s. Their prom consists of a secret venue, like we have, and students are transported by bus.

Here at Orcutt Academy, Class of 2018 fundraises for prom in many ways. With the lead of Class of 2018 president, Mitch Modlin, we have had fundraisers such as selling food, chocolate bars, and multiple BBQs. Our ticket price this year comes to $150 after fundraising, which raises the question: How does Saint Joe’s afford prom with ticket prices so low? When planning our prom, we gathered that a typical prom venue costs about $10,000, not including food and price of the buses, so we can assume that Saint Joe’s administration pays for the majority of the school’s prom.

The price of $150 for our school’s prom was brought by hard fundraising over the years, so I set out to figure out how much it would cost our school to do the same thing. Since our prom is secret also, I was not able to get exact numbers, but our ticket price would definitely be upward of 300 hundred dollars if we were to not fundraises at all.

These differences in prom show why students should truly appreciate the hard work put into their prom. For a school like Saint Joe’s, I would be very thankful to the administration for spending the money to ensure the students have a great time. At Orcutt Academy, students should be thankful to the Class of 2018 and the staff in charge of prom for all the hard work they put into it as well.

1 Comment

One Response to “Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s”

1. Staci Tilley on February 15th, 2018 8:01 AM

Thank you Nick for writing a great article and highlighting the hard work the Class of 2018 has put in over the past few years.

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

The Orcutt Academy powerball

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

New playground bark falls into place

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

The state of the Class of 2020

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Prom theme reveal turns to online outrage

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Poetry Out Loud at Orcutt Academy

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

When it rains, it floods Orcutt Academy

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Tension builds as Trump fights to build a wall

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Calling all coaches

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Just Dance? It takes a lot more work than that…

• Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s

Kira Hopkins is hopping back into the new season

Prom: Orcutt Academy vs. Saint Joe’s