Filed under News, Showcase

Life After OA: Annie Ayers

Former Orcutt Academy student, Annie Ayers, is now a junior at California Polytechnic State University. Ayers is studying botany and learning about the world through nature and has earned a prestigious scholarship this summer.

While attending Orcutt Academy, Ayers participated in volleyball freshman and sophomore year, she was secretary of the gardening club, and she also participated in the National Honors Society and CSF. Ayers says she didn’t really prepare for any big time colleges in high school. “I didn’t know how to prepare… but everything worked out really well.”

Ayers faced many obstacles on her path to success. Whether it come from taking almost all AP and honors classes her senior year or the people who were “obsessed with success,” Annie had to overcome some things to become so successful. “My experience was socially positive but also really hard… people push you to excellence but that is also problematic.”  Ayers shares her experience with the obsession of success by stating it was a pressure she put on herself, she wanted to do her best and get the best grades. While Annie enjoyed her time in high school, she also had to face the sharp edge of people struggling with self image and the obsession of grades and not the overall message of learning.

Over this last summer, Ayers traveled to London, then came back to California and traveled again to Berkeley College. During her time traveling, she participated in a DNA extraction. Ayers worked to figure out how the plants survived and worked in such a high altitude. “It’s like you’re not doing it for yourself, you’re doing it for the rest of the world,” Ayers tells the Oracle.

Some pieces of advice Ayers has for high school students is to manage your time and remember the simple things in life. “Remember it doesn’t matter how successful you are, but how loving and caring you are.” The little things in life are what make you successful according to Annie.