Filed under News, Showcase

Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Mrs. Deborah Pirman, English teacher and Senior Success Mentor, leaves Orcutt Academy for a new job.

If there’s a familiarity one could recall from Mrs. Pirman, it is certainly the love she had for all her students. A genuine and sincere care, that is. After all, her hall pass reads: “Mrs. Pirman loves me and she misses me when I’m gone!” Whether it was her 10th and 12th grade English classes, senior success or drama students, Mrs. Pirman provided guidance and love for nearly everyone at Orcutt Academy.

Mrs. Pirman’s answer to why she became a teacher was because she simply couldn’t be her true self doing something else. As she claimed, “I’d be miserable doing anything else.” A teacher and a leader is who Mrs. Pirman is at her core-being, and it was who she was before she actually became one.

However, Mrs. Pirman wasn’t always a teacher. At first, she was into business.

The only reason Mrs. Pirman pursued a career in business was because it seemed practical. After all, she came from what she deemed “a practical family.” Pirman was a former stock broker and insurance agent for Charles Schwab. However, in the middle of her business career, Pirman kept finding herself in roles of client education and team-training, both positions of leadership and influence. Likewise, there was a constant wall that the current-English teacher kept encountering while she was in the business field. And when she finally gave in to becoming a full-time teacher, backed by the support of her husband and family, Pirman could finally do what she was passionate about. “It was like I could finally breathe again.”

Jokingly, Pirman admits there was no “logical reason” in becoming a teacher. After all, the pay isn’t that great, the hours are grueling, and there is a lot of behind-the-scenes work that has to be done to ensure a student’s success. In the end, however, Pirman decided to look past these things and continue with what she found true happiness in.

Working with young people has taught Pirman that ego has no place in the work field, that vulnerability is key, and an availability to one’s students is essential in establishing relationships. In her tenure here at Orcutt Academy, Pirman has achieved just that.

At Orcutt Academy, Pirman reflected on each student’s uniqueness and creativity they possessed. “The things that will always stick out in my mind are those relationships.” Quite different from a college-teaching experience, as she recalls, were these OA students and their willingness to open up to teachers. It’s important that, along with their academic growth, that each student grows emotionally and socially as well, as Mrs. Pirman states. This, she says, was very possible at Orcutt Academy due to its positive environment.

A poster signed by multiple students at Orcutt Academy, which reads: “Forever a Spartan – We [Love] U Mrs. Pirman” (Poster made by Celine Busnelli)

“If my students don’t trust me to do what’s in their best interest, I don’t know why they would ever listen to what I’m trying to teach them.”

In addition to the many relationships she has made with her students, Pirman went on to reflect about the relationships she made with fellow faculty as well. Among her closest friends were those in her English department. “Those people are my friends.”

Pirman is transferring to Olive Grove Charter School, an independent charter school that has campuses in Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo. However, Pirman hopes the change in scenery won’t hinder her former students from reaching out to her.

A replacement teacher has yet to be named, and in the interim, Mrs. Beth Chamberlain will sub until a replacement is found.

After three years of teaching at Orcutt Academy, the English teacher informed the Oracle that her wish for her former students is to let them know that she loved them. And that, she certainly has accomplished.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mrs. Pirman – a reflection”

1. Krysten Parker on February 6th, 2018 9:05 PM

This article seriously made me tear up. We miss you so much, Mrs. Pirman!

[Reply]

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Senior plans: taking a different path

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Santa Maria Arts ceremony

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

ASB’s plans for next year

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

A chance to go back and give back

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Leyton is headed to London

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

The future is bright for Yesenia Zacarias

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

The future of John DeMarco

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Arianna Vauclin’s after-high-school plans

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Orcutt Academy’s awesome talent show

• Mrs. Pirman – a reflection

Orcutt Academy senior’s college plans

Mrs. Pirman – a reflection