Should we have rallies in the middle of the day?

students at the rally

students at the rally

students at the rally

students at the rally

Hope Davidson, Reporter

At Orcutt Academy, rallies are typically held at the end of the day following shortened periods. Although, in an attempt to make it possible for the sports teams to attend, the most recent rally occurred in the middle of the day: was this a beneficial or disadvantageous move by the school?

In the past, some sports teams have missed the rally which was held for them due to sporting events. Therefore, the obvious advantage of scheduling a rally at this time is the sports teams will be able to attend. ASB would also benefit because they can clean up during lunchtime versus having to stay after school ends.

A prominent issue associated with rallies is ditching. Many students see rallies just as a way to ditch or be picked up early. By having the rally in the middle of the day, the assumption would be less students would ditch because they have classes to attend afterwards- right? But, who’s to say students won’t leave and just come back before class? Immediately following the rally is lunch, leaving an hour-and-forty minute break between the end of 3rd period and the beginning of 4th; plenty of time for students to ditch. The reality is, if students hate rallies, they’re going to find a way to ditch, no matter what time the rally is held.

Another concern of a midday rally is that after almost a two hour break from learning, students may find it difficult to concentrate and settle down in their next class. Also, for the students who enjoy rallies, a rally at the end of the day was something fun to look forward to. The main purpose of a rally is to hype students up, and having classes after the rally kills the peppy spirit and purpose of the event.

Overall, the traditional rally held at the end of the day appears optimal. While some sports teams may not be able to attend, having a rally at the end of the day would preserve its cheerful, peppy atmosphere.