Gym Shorts: Shelby Mohler

Gym Shorts: Shelby Mohler

Hope Davidson, Reporter

For most people, athletic careers end in high school, however, Shelby Mohler is one of the few who will continue playing sports into college after receiving a scholarship to play softball at Missouri Valley College.

Playing the sport since she was young, college softball has been a lifelong dream of Shelby’s. Mohler has worked diligently to make her dreams a reality in her four years as a softball player at Orcutt Academy. During her final high school season, she hopes to see the softball program grow as a whole. Shelby is excited for another season of building her skills, playing the sport she loves, and giving her team “as much love and leadership as I can.”

Prior to being offered the scholarship, Shelby attended many showcases as a sophomore and junior. She met her future coach at a tournament in Sacramento and later set up a visit to discuss a scholarship. Shelby recommends visiting the college you plan to attend to confirm its the right fit for you, just as she and her mom did.

When visiting Missouri Valley College , she says it “truly felt like home.” After experiencing the process of picking a college, Shelby wants students to know they should choose a college not based on the sports or money, but a place they’re confident they love because it will be home for the next 4 years.

Currently, Mohler plans on majoring in nursing and minoring in mathematics at Missouri Valley College. She is thrilled to grow as a person in college and to “pursue the career I had been waiting for my whole life.” Shelby Mohler will be missed at Orcutt Academy next year, but we are proud to watch her accomplish many wonderful things.