Justice League Movie Review

Trenton Carroll, Reporter

Justice League Does not Save the Day

WARNING: DEFINITELY CONTAINS SPOILERS

Like the many other DC movie adaptations to spring up these past few years, “Justice League” has nothing to be proud of in terms of story, interesting characters, special effects, or any element of film. Warner Bros. has produced nothing worthwhile when it comes to DC, especially with “Justice League” now in theaters.

The story itself is very weak and tediously predictable. This is likely a result from trying to squeeze a plot out of two hours of never ending character exposition and background information. Does everyone really need to know about the Flash’s dreams of becoming a law representative in order to get his father out of jail? Does half an hour of screen time need to show that Aquaman would rather be hanging in a fishing town full of landlubbers, than ruling on the throne of Atlantis? The answer is no. Not when neither of these stories pertains to, or has any relevance to the actual plot of the film. Or more importantly, the fighting in a superhero movie.

Perhaps a major flaw is that each of the characters seems to have only one emotional trait. Cyborg’s advanced alien appendages can seemingly produce hover boots, ray guns, and 3D digital world maps, but all the writers can muster up for his personality is an angsty, cry baby who constantly complains about his bionic attributes. The Flash’s sole purpose is to be the awkward, and nerdy comedic relief. His jokes and complaints definitely come off strange, but they hardly elicit a laugh

By far, the weakest character is the villain named Steppenwolf. The only concerns on his mind are destroying the Earth, and tanking this movie’s box office sales. His character is the typical, boring archetype we see in all of these superhero movies. It’s fair to compare him to a large rock. Sure Steppenwolf is intimidating, but when constantly flung around the screen the only result is widely agreed feeling of slight of brain damage, and fear of sitting through another hour-and-a-half of pure agony.

Unfortunately, for whoever put down money to have this film made, there is a third glaring problem with the movie. The CGI is a leap from great in the wrong direction. Cyborg’s suit is bland and unconvincing. Whatever processes they used to craft his body make the robots from 1984’s Terminator (a film from over thirty years ago) look cutting edge in the special effects department. The same story goes for Justice League’s antagonist, Steppenwolf. He is literally one color of dark grey, and his face resembles pixelated oatmeal more than some sort of ancient inter-galactic alien.

The film is just drab in appearance. If you are somehow conned, or otherwise forced into seeing this film, I dare you to count how many different colors you can see on the screen at any given time. I’d be surprised if that number ever goes above 3.

At this point in the review, I think I’d be recommending proper age groups or demographics who might enjoy this movie, but please don’t make anyone else see it. This movie is particularly drab in what seems like the current fad of superhero movies (not to say that it is a terrible fad per se). Hopefully, after reading this you and your entourage can “League Up” and go see “Thor: Ragnarok”, or “Coco” this weekend.

Justice League is having showings at the Edwards Santa Maria Stadium 14, located at the Santa Maria Town Center Mall. I would strongly recommend not wasting two and a half hours on this obvious cash grab of Hollywood’s latest film fad.

1 Comment

One Response to “Justice League Movie Review”

1. Trenton Kozel on December 21st, 2017 9:19 PM

Vivid and fantastic! Love reading these!

[Reply]

• Justice League Movie Review

Santa Maria Needs a Facelift

• Justice League Movie Review

P.H.E.W Review

• Justice League Movie Review

Golden Globes 2018

• Justice League Movie Review

The pros of recreational marijuana

• Justice League Movie Review

The cons of recreational marijuana

• Justice League Movie Review

Ask Athena

• Justice League Movie Review

Unacceptable parking conditions for the students of OA

• Justice League Movie Review

What to spend your money on at Starbucks this Holiday Season

• Opinions

OUSD brings good health program, will self-defense be next?

• Justice League Movie Review

Why Vine 2.0 should NOT happen

Justice League Movie Review