Filed under News, Showcase

College Admissions Requirments

If you are looking to apply to a college in California, you have clicked on the right article. The following is an overview of the admission requirements for the four college systems in California currently.

In California there are four types of colleges that are available for students to study at after high school. The two public university types are the California State University system and the University of California system. The other two types of colleges would be California Community College system and private universities or colleges.

First, let’s talk about admission requirements for the California State University system. The Cal State system has some basic qualifications to be able to be eligible for admission to one of its twenty-three universities. First, a student must have at least a 2.0 GPA to qualify for regular admissions, as well as already have taken an SAT or ACT test. There is no specific score you need to achieve to get admissions, but the score is heavily correlated with your GPA. The higher the GPA one has, the lower score you need on one of the test. For example, a student with a 2.01 GPA needs a 1300 on their SAT or a 30 on their ACT to be strongly considered for admission. The California State University system also looks at involvement in one’s school and community. While these requirements simply apply to admissions, schools like CalPoly and professions such as nursing will look for higher achievements of the standards set.

The University of California is the second biggest public university system in California. UC’s have a little higher admission requirements than the Cal State system. To start off, the minimum GPA to be considered for admissions for California residents would be a 3.0. However, a 3.0 GPA alone does not guarantee admission. Schools like UCLA look for involvement in other areas besides academics as well. Students interested in admissions to a UC must have taken the ACT test (along with the writing portion), or the SAT reasoning exams. All ACT or SAT tests  should be taken by December of one’s senior year as well. Likewise, A-G requirements must be met with grades C or better in each class. By the time you apply to a UC, you should have completed 11 out of 15 of the required A-G courses. A noted benefit with UC applications is that there is no personal statement required, but rather an answer to four insightful questions regarding various subjects. UC’s also take into account the quality and rigor of one’s senior year, so if you take many academic classes in comparison to, say, taking four classes with mainly electives, you could become a better applicant for a UC school.

Students also have the option to not go to a four year university right out of high school. Many students could choose to attend a community college like Allan Hancock College. AHC  allows enrollment to anyone who has graduated high school, and requirements for such enrollment differ from most community colleges with “the Hancock Promise.” The Hancock Promise states that anyone, having met the few requirements, shall receive free tuition in their first year at Hancock. The requirements are enrolling in Hancock right after high school, completing the FAFSA application, registering for a minimum of 12 units in both fall and spring semesters, maintaining a 2.0 GPA in the fall semester, and completing one math and english class during their first year at AHC as well.

The last of the four year university types in California is private universities. Each private university has its own requirements for admissions, so it is harder to note specifically what all private schools require of applicants. Some of the typical requirements for most public universities or community colleges, such as a high GPA, proficient SAT/ACT tests scores, and involvement with one’s community could likewise be considered with one’s religious beliefs. Private universities such as Stanford look for higher GPA’s than most schools as well.

This is an overview of what colleges in California have set as their admission requirements. If you are actually applying to one of these, I suggest you talk to your counselor and do more in-depth research since with them!