Spartans jump into new season

Spartans jump into new season

Sophomore, Erik Guzman

Sophomore, Erik Guzman

Sophomore, Erik Guzman

Sophomore, Erik Guzman

Hope Davidson, Reporter

As most of us snuggle up in our blankets and brace for winter, the boys basketball team will be lacing up their shoes in preparation for the upcoming season. The team is about to face many changes this year, but it’s nothing they can’t tackle.

Assistant coach, John Dell’Armo, presents the losses from last year’s team: the Carpenter twins- two boys with a lot of height, Anthony Avila- starting point guard, and Louie Ramos- an exceptional shooter. He believes the team will rebound from the loss of seniors because “the underclassmen are now gonna step up.” Coach Dell’Armo expresses the faith he has in underclassmen Josh Dyson and James Tilley. As point guards, the two will possess a more dominant leadership role on the team. Other players he looks forward to seeing shine in place of past seniors are Dane Weeks and Marc Pyle. They may not have as much height as the twins, but will definitely be a force to reckon with “down low.”

In preparation for the season, Dell’Armo and head coach, Ryan Smalley, began building the boys’ stamina in conditioning practices during the summer months. Additionally, they practiced the fundamentals to perfect the team’s techniques.

Official tryouts have not been hosted due to fall sports qualifying for CIF. Tryouts are to be held toward the end of the month, and will set the ball in motion for the season to begin. With all of the outstanding talent on this team, OA boys basketball will no doubt have an impressive season!