Filed under News, Showcase

Burgers & Bullying

Burgers and Bullying by Burger King

Burgers and Bullying by Burger King

Burgers and Bullying by Burger King

What deserves to be defended from bullying: a high school student or a burger? Burger King’s recent ad shines light on the subject of bullying.

On October 17, Burger King released an ad entitled “Bullying Jr”. The video depicts a high school junior being bullied inside of a Burger King, while the other customers sit around and watch it happen. It then shows a burger being “bullied” by an employee, where the employee punches and damages the burger before wrapping it up. When customers receive their “bullied” burger, they stand up and talk to the employees about why it had been damaged. The ad goes on to show that while 95% of the customers who received the “bullied” burgers said something, only 12% of customers stood up to the high school student being bullied.

The bullying taking place in this ad was not real; the victim and bullies were actors used to get a reaction from customers. However, it does serve a purpose. One of the worst issues surrounding bullying is those who do not stand up to it. Bullying is ignored by bystanders 90% of the time, according to NoBullying.com. People cared more about a damaged burger than a teenager being bullied. By not doing anything to stop it, they allowed the bullying to continue.

A student, who shall remain anonymous, speaks about being bullied in the past. They describe how they’ve been bullied while people stood by, not doing anything: “When you see someone just sitting by, not doing anything, it just makes your self-confidence go down. When someone’s not around, you know no one’s going to help you, but when someone is there and not doing anything, it really hurts.” They describe how the situation was made worse by their best friend sitting there while they were being bullied, doing nothing, and later had no memory of the instance.

Bullying has always been a prevalent issue, as it’s been taught as a hateful act starting in elementary school, and yet it still occurs in schools regularly. Students who are bullied should not be left to deal with it alone. If you see someone being bullied, you should tell an authority figure, and perhaps stand up for them in a safe manner. Most of all, let the victim know you are there for them. Do not let anyone suffer alone, for that is worse than the bullying itself.

For more information about bullying, go to

Nobully.org

Nobullying.com

To see the video, click the link below:

Bullying Jr.

1 Comment

One Response to “Burgers & Bullying”

1. Trenton Kozel on December 4th, 2017 6:07 PM

While I agree bullying is terrible and bystanders certainly enable it, this advertisement doesn’t necessarily treat its customers fairly. The burger being “bullied” is a much more socially acceptable thing to get involved in. If you pay for your burger at a restaurant, you are paying for an intact burger. There is much more stigma about involving yourself in a bullying situation- calling on patrons of Burger King to assess a situation; classify in as wrong, right, or something they should stop; and is a much more questionable and sketchy ground to act upon. It’s good to raise awareness about bullying and being a bystander, but this analogy just falls flat in my opinion.

• Burgers & Bullying

Flatley joins the Orcutt Academy family

• Burgers & Bullying

The battle for Homecoming court

• Burgers & Bullying

America on its knees

• Burgers & Bullying

Inspiring change: OAHS fundraises for the thirsty

• Burgers & Bullying

The sky is falling! Oh wait, everyone calm down, it’s just the MU lights

• Burgers & Bullying

OAHS drama, back in business with “The Witches”

• Burgers & Bullying

Inspiring creativity through Orcutt’s youth

• Burgers & Bullying

Club day captured through photos

• Burgers & Bullying

The new success teacher succeeding elsewhere

• Burgers & Bullying

Hurricane Florence takes the Carolinas by storm

Burgers & Bullying