Filed under News, Showcase

FLL Tournaments

Three, Two, One, LEGO!  Every year our robotics team, FIRST 3512 Spartatroniks, puts on two FIRST Lego League (FLL) Tournaments for local elementary and junior high school students. The Practice Tournament was on October 28th, and now teams are aware of what to expect for our qualifying tournament on November 11th.

The students on our team, and specifically the FLL leadership team, worked extremely hard to put on a great practice tournament. Almost every elementary and junior high school in our school district has an FLL team, and many schools in the Santa Maria Bonita School District have teams as well.

FLL is one of the four FIRST programs, our team participates in FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition), which is for high schoolers. FLL is for kids in grades 3-8 and is divided into three parts: Robot, Core Values, and Project. For Robot, teams use an EV3 and Legos to build a robot and attachments to compete on the field. They then program it using the Lego Mindstorm software. Each mission or task they complete is worth a certain amount of points. For Core Values, teams have to demonstrate teamwork and gracious professionalism. For Project, teams have to define a problem and come up with a solution to it. This year, teams had to define and solve a problem related to the human water cycle.

At the competition, teams get five robot matches, where they get two and a half minutes to try and complete as many missions as possible. They also get one, twenty-minute judging session where they present their project, talk about their robot design, and demonstrate their core values. Every year, a new challenge is released and teams get a game manual and two short videos that explain the game. They then only have about 6 weeks to try, to build and program a Lego robot to compete, and similarly to solve a real world problem related to that years game. This years game, called Hydrodynamics, is all about water. At our qualifying tournament this past Saturday, the top five teams that have demonstrated skills in the three categories moved on to the LA Championship, where they will compete against teams from across California. The top team at the LA Championship will qualify to go to the World Championships in Houston, Texas, which is held in April.

Overall, our practice tournament was a success. It ran smoothly and stayed on time. Teams got great advice from our judges on how to improve for the qualifying tournament and teams now know what to expect. All students got certificates for competing in the tournament and eleven awards were given out to teams who performed well in any of the categories. Our neighbors at Orcutt Junior High have two teams, and one of them, The Radioactive Mustangs, took home the championship award for excelling in all categories.