Filed under News, Showcase

Mueller Investigation

The Special Counsel, Robert Mueller, was assigned to investigate Russia’s interference with the 2016 election in May of 2017. On Monday, October 30; Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman; and Rick Gates, the campaign official, turned themselves into the FBI for the admittance of denying statements about the Russian influence in last year’s election.

Robert Mueller’s case will change dramatically due to the new evidence coming in from the former advisors. Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were accused of laundering millions of dollars from offshore accounts, as well as ignoring United States taxes. However, both men denied those claims at the time and were likewise charged with making false statements about the Russian interference. Manafort and Gates were officially accused of  “conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading US Foreign Agents Registration Act statements, false statements, and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign bank and financial accounts.” (CNN) Although these new cases were helpful for Mueller, George Papadopoulos and his relations with Russia are essential to Muller’s investigation.

George Papadopoulos, one of Trump’s early campaign advisers, plead guilty of lying about his previous claims to the FBI about his association with a Russian professor. He admitted that he lied about his contact with the professor in his interview in January, and that the professor had close ties to powerful Russian officials.

Papadopoulos made a secret plea about lying to the FBI about the campaign’s attempt to contact Russian officials during the election. Papadopoulos had connections with two individuals in Russia, who were referred to as “the Professor” and “Female Russian National”. Although Papadopoulos associated more with “the Professor”, claiming they met up, this was ultimately proven false later on. Papadopoulos became Trump’s foreign policy adviser in 2016, and used that power to find dirt on Trump’s opponent, HIllary Clinton, most likely through the rumored emails she deleted. He also attempted to set up a meeting between Trump and Vladimir Putin, but it never happened; Papadopoulos was arrested in July.

Papadopoulos lied to the FBI about the “about the timing, extent and nature of his relationships and interactions with certain foreign nationals whom he understood to have close connections with senior Russian government officials,”(CNN), in a 14 page document describing Papadopoulos’s offence. The FBI, after investigating Papadopoulos’s computer, learned that Trump’s campaign officials were forwarding emails to each other of Russian invitations and meetings. Papadopoulos also sent an email to a Russian official, trying to set up a meeting with them, and a U.S. official, who is presumed to be Paul Manafort himself. Papadopoulos claimed the meeting was approved by their side.

This new evidence against Trump’s campaign officials will bring Mueller closer to discovering whether Russia had a role in the outcome in the 2016 election. If you would like to find out more information about the Mueller investigation, check out the links below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/us/politics/paul-manafort-indicted.html

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/30/politics/paul-manafort-russia-investigation-surrender/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/politics/first-charges-mueller-investigation/index.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/30/manafort-surrender-fbi-authorities-244305