Filed under News, Showcase

Harvey Weinstein and Bill O’ Reilly

Harvey Weinstein, American film producer, and Bill O’Reilly, a famous American journalist, have been accused of sexually harassing and making unwanted sexual behavior towards women in their occupations.

Harvey Weinstein has been accused of performing unwanted sexual advances since 1985, but recently many more women have been accusing Weinstein of sexual misconduct, harassment, assault, and even rape.

Weinstein wealth and power has allegedly allowed him to do as he wants, since victims are afraid of the retaliation, and fear of losing their jobs. As the cases accumulated, it was discovered that Weinstein’s advances follow a pattern, beginning as an innocent business meeting, which transforms into a massage, and then sexual assault or harassment in a hotel room. 50 women have already accused Weinstein of sexual harassment, although it is estimated that there have been many more.

Although journalists and victims have accused Weinstein in the past, there has not been enough evidence to expose him, and Weinstein and his colleagues have repeatedly attempted to suppress the accusations, many women and famous actresses have now come forward. All telling similar story and describing their awful experiences with Weinstein. This new evidence has forced to him to make a public statement.

Weinstein made an initial apology of acknowledging his past compliments towards women, and how they may be perceived as sexual, but turned this discussion of him having trouble controlling his temper, which was not the issue of the topic. Sallie Hofmeister, a spokesperson for Weinstein, made a new statement for him, denying that he has had any non-consensual sex with any women, although that statement is the opposite of what many women have said about him.

In a similar matter, Bill O’Reilly, the former head of Fox News, was recently forced out of his job due to his recent sexual allegations. O’Reilly was accused of sexual harassment by a total of five women, and paid them millions of dollars to keep silent. He denies all of the claims made by the women, and believes his wealth and fame have made him a target for being accused of sexual harassment. O’Reilly portrays himself as the victim, rather than the women that have claimed they were sexually harassed. He blamed the politically motivated media and higher powers for accusing him, and that he would never sexually harass anyone. O’Reilly likewise claims large news networks, particularly the New York Times, wanted him to be fired, and that their power allowed to get what they wanted.

The new evidence against both men have led to many many women’s rights activists demanding the resignation of both men. O’Reilly has already been forced to step down, but Weinstein’s power has made him a more difficult target.

If you would like to find out more information about either men, or read the stories of the various women involved, check the links below.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/10/23/harvey-weinstein-scandal-ny-attorney-general-opens-civil-rights-investigation-weinstein-company/790366001/

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-women-who-have-accused-harvey-weinstein-of-sexual-harassment-or-assault-2017-10/#gwyneth-paltrow-1

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/23/media/bill-oreilly-misconduct-allegations/index.html

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html

Aidan Soares, Reporter

My name is Aidan Soares and I am an ambitious student. I joined the track team freshman year, throwing shot put and discus, and plan to be on the track...