College campus movements: the 60s to now

Back in the 1960s there were many college movements, and these movements shaped what college life would become today. College students voicing their beliefs throughout the 1960s draw many comparisons to how college students are voicing their beliefs in 2017 as well. However, college was also very different in the 1960s.

There was an emerging political system called the New Left, and that system represented the latest manifestation of left-leaning political activists. It gained converts on campus across the nation.

From the New Left, many movements took place all over the United States. One movement was at University of California Berkeley, called The Berkeley Free Speech Movement. This movement included students protesting with banners and demanding for free-speech and academic freedom. During the movement, a graduate student, named Jack Weinberg, set up a table with political information and was arrested. A group of approximately 3,000 students surrounded the police car in which he was held, preventing it from moving for 36 hours. This protest helped shape the face of many others movements to come.

Another protest that happened was called the Harvard Strike. This protest was based off of social injustice about the Vietnam War. Students at Harvard kicked up a long chain of demonstrations showing their hatred for the Vietnam War. The administrators at the school called the police, and the police would go on to beat the students with clubs to stop the demonstrations. This movement was one of the few where there was no violence from the protestors, but rather violent police acts. The social justice movement is likewise going on today, because we as a nation still have issues with human rights and equality. Just in the same way, social injustice was significant and a horrific deal in the 1960s and a lot of people took this matter seriously.

In recent times, there was a protest at Auburn University where nationalist speaker, Richard Spencer, addressed bringing an end to a nation and culture defined by white people. There was some violence from the police trying to man-handle him and a punch was thrown.

Racial issues were big in the 60s largely because of the Civil Rights Movement. And in recent memory, a similar protest transpired with a similar call-to-action. A walkout at Boston College on October 18, 2017 among many students apart of the “Eradicate Boston College Racism” group have drawn attention to racism and inequality on the school campus. Students were found holding banners and shouting “No justice, No peace, No racism at BC”. Advocations for non-discriminatory acts among faculty and students and standing up against oppression shows that in the 57 years that has gone by, there are still college campus movements that are very similar to those of the 1960s.

The 1960s was a time of change, and that time of change has carried over to today’s time period. Everything around us is changing, there are more movements, more protests, and more demonstrations of refusing to be silent, to have a voice, and to fight for equality amongst every group of people aspiring to receive a safe education across United State’s college campuses. These movements have shaped how we are behave as human beings, as citizens, and as American people.

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in