A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

People try to flee the horrific area.

People try to flee the horrific area.

People try to flee the horrific area.

Clayton Merrill, Reporter

On October 2nd, Las Vegas became a city horror. In late September, Las Vegas hosts big country music festival bringing all the big names in country music to the city. But this year is a year they won’t forget.

At 9:40, country music star Jason Aldean began playing at the festival in front of a crowd of 22,000 people. Minutes later people started hearing what sounded like firecrackers. Sadly they weren’t firecrackers. A man named Stephen Paddock started to open fire on the crowd at 10:05 from his Mandalay Bay hotel room. Paddock took the lives of 58 innocent lives that night and wounded over 500. About 1 hour later, police entered the room where Paddock opened fire and found that he had shot himself, along with about 18 guns.

After the shooting, the streets around Mandalay Bay were nothing but a mess. Ambulances, people running for help, police, it was like a warzone. A man named Mark Lacey was a spectator at the concert that night and told NBC news, “Once the shooting started everyone thought it was some sort of firecrackers, but then they started to see people start hitting the ground and he knew that it was gunshots. So he told everyone in the VIP tent to hit the deck and that they were gunshots.” Lacey then noticed that the man behind him was laying on the ground and his wife screaming so he decided to take him to safety and then went to go help more people.

Another witness by the name of Gale Davis told CBS News, “ All we heard was pop, pop, pop and it just kept coming and that is when my husband said that’s not firecrackers that’s a semi-automatic rifle. The next thing I saw was the girl standing right next to me and she put her hands on her stomach and they were all bloody. So we called for help but then another round of shots started and all you could see was people falling and getting shot. So my husband said we need to leave or else we are going to get shot, so a policeman told us to stay right behind this snack cart and all you heard were the bullets bouncing of the cart.”

The shooting also took the life of a woman who lived here on the central coast. According to KBSY, a Carpenteria women was among the dead on Oct. 2. Denise Cohen, 58, was born in the bay area and has lived on the Central Coast for about ten years. She leaves behind a son who said she radiated positive energy when she entered the room and was a lover of country music.

Even though this is the worst public shooting in US history, it is moments like these when our country can unite. October 2, will be a day that Las Vegas will never forget.

1 Comment

One Response to “A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget”

1. Adelyn Gaither on November 6th, 2017 8:20 PM

Very beautifully written. Love all the information

[Reply]

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Korea bomb tunnel collapse

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

FLL Tournaments

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

US-Russian Relations:1960 vs Today

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Should we have the day after Halloween off?

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Mueller Investigation

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Jennifer Flory: hero of the front office

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Nothern California Wild Fires

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Harvey Weinstein and Bill O’ Reilly

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

Echoes of the 60s

• A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget

NHS drive kicks off today!

A Day Las Vegas Won’t Forget