Homecoming: To ask or not to ask?

A girl asks a guy to homecoming. Is this unacceptable or just simply uncommon?

Trenton Kozel, Reporter

Every high school sees its fair share of Homecoming proposals. (Spartans recently told us how they felt about these proposals.) Traditionally, a boy will make his crush a sign, get her flowers, and ask them to accompany him for a wonderful night. Very rarely, however, do you see a girl doing this for a guy. This begs the question: should girls go against the norm and ask guys to dances?

Mirroring gender roles, this formula of guys asking girls is the precedent set at high schools. This is so prevalent that every year there is a dance devoted solely to girls asking guys: the Sadie Hawkin’s dance (slated for February 2018). While this dance makes it acceptable to forgo social norms, it also serves a reminder of what is expected in the first place. By designating a dance where girls are exclusively doing the asking, it reinforces the seemingly traditional way of asking for other dances. This being said, girls definitely can and should ask guys to dances besides Sadie’s.

Regardless of someone’s gender, if they want to go to a dance with a date, they should ask them. Bottom line, almost everyone has someone in mind when thinking about going to Homecoming with a date, and there is no reason either side of the equation has to be the one to ask. If stuck in the way things are, girls will be left waiting, and guys will end up scrambling to pick a date.

So then, why is this practice still prevalent if it affects both parties negatively? First of all, it is easy and it’s what we know. Change is hard for everyone, and both sides have pros as well as cons. Waiting to be asked is relatively easy, but it could leave you without a date come time of the dance. On the other hand, asking someone gives you full freedom and control, but poses you with the difficult and nerve-wracking task of putting yourself out there. Both parties are at risk during a period of transition here. If girls don’t go against the norm, but guys do (by waiting to be asked instead of asking the girls themselves), no one will be asked to the dance and it will be a sad Homecoming indeed.

The conclusion to be drawn from all of this is that no one should feel bound by social practices, and should ask someone to a dance if they wish. Especially since gender equality issues affect our society on a much bigger scale, it is important to be aware of how it can also affect our everyday lives.