Mata on the Move

Talia+Mata%2C+team+captain%2C+relaxing+before+practice.+

Mata on the Move

Talia Mata, team captain, relaxing before practice.

Hope Davidson, Reporter

Time is quickly running out for senior Talia Mata. As one of the top dogs in the cross country community, Talia Mata continuously crushes the competition as she heads into her 4th and final year of highschool. Talia has been invited to train in Australia alongside the best high school runners in the nation, recognized by the University of La Verne, and was interviewed by Dye Stat, one of the biggest running websites.

Mata’s high school running career will draw to a close as she graduates this upcoming year. At this point, Mata has a personal record with a time of 19:25 for a three mile race, has been a  part of the team which placed 9th at the State competition, and holds many school records including the fastest mile and many records for specific cross country meets.  

Talia has been running since her freshman year and hopes her running career won’t end when she graduates; she plans to continue running for a 4 year university, possibly considering La Verne as an option. Talia feels confident about this season and is hopeful about receiving a scholarship by running a 3 mile in under 18 minutes. A difficult task, but there is no doubt Mata will achieve and surpass her goal.

One of the hardest parts of graduating is leaving all the friends you’ve grown to love, and Mata says one of the things she will miss the most about crosscountry is the encouraging and supportive team. Talia easily bonded with her fellow runners because they “understand your struggle of dying while running.” Mata is captain of the team and aims to lead the team to another trip to the CIF State competition this year.

Best wishes and good luck to Talia Mata in her fourth and final season as a Spartan!