Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Spring Break Needs to be Consistent

Spring Break here at OAHS has been taking place during the week of Easter. However, this means that each year the curriculum needs to be shifted and student’s schedules molded around different dates.

This year spring break begins April 14, and next year it will be April 1st. The Following year it will jump all the way to April 21. This affects students differently each year. For example, this year spring break will directly precede AP testing, which means that AP students will be bombarded with a stressful week of tests immediately after getting used to a week of relaxation and minimal brain activity.

This time of year, towards the end of second semester, students and teachers alike are under excruciating amounts of stress.  Students have reported taking more mental health days than usual, which only makes them fall behind more as teachers try to cram as much information as possible into the last weeks before Spring Break. Teachers have also been increasingly absent this time of year as well ,with 30 subs in the past two weeks alone.
I propose that instead of basing Spring Break on a holiday, we hold it during the same week each year. This will provide a much needed resting period for stressed out students and staff as well as allow teachers to stick to a consistent schedule rather than splitting up their curriculum differently each year. An ideal time to have Spring Break is after the second six week grading period. This is convenient because it will take place in early April, at the end of a tedious grading period and will allow students to start fresh the next week rather than having a break in the middle of a six-week period. As well, we should allow the weekend of Easter to be a three-day weekend our of respect for the beliefs of those who celebrate Easter and Good Friday.