Filed under Expressions, Showcase

Person of Interest: Celine Busnelli

If you had to think of the hardest-working person who’ve ever met, who would it be? Would that person be a friend, family member, or teacher? To me, there is one person here at Orcutt Academy that is the epitome of a hardworking student. Her name is Celine Busnelli.

Celine Busnelli is not your typical sixteen year old here at Orcutt Academy.  Celine’s many responsibilities and her ability to meet them on a daily basis allow her to stand out amongst the crowd in my eyes. To put it one way, the best way to describe Celine’s life is simply exciting.

The 16 year old phenomenon was the first in her family to be born in the United States, as her father was born in Argentina, while her mother was born in France. Celine didn’t even begin speaking English until she was six years old, for her father taught her Spanish and her mother talked to her in French. Today, Celine would describe her trilingual abilities as proficient but not perfect. Still, simply understanding three languages is a worthy ability to possess.

Two of the biggest passions Celine takes an immense amount of pride in is her work in photography and her swimming. Celine admits that her weekly commitments outside of photography pose a challenge to her passion, but when she does find the time to squeeze it in, she’s driven to take beautiful pictures and also finds joy in photographing her friends and family. In similarity, Celine finds herself driving out to landscapes she envisions in her head and waiting for the right picture to come along on her Canon Rebel T5. Even more impressive, Celine’s own work was featured on the front cover of wine magazine: Wine Country This Month at the beginning of the year! Celine notes that she was immensely honored to be chosen for the magazine cover.

Celine’s other passion is swimming. After her beginnings when she only nine years old, Celine has developed into a phenomenal swimmer that swims for our Orcutt Academy swim team. Celine has swam for the Santa Maria Swim Club in the past as well as taught private swimming lessons, but has recently focused her attention more on her school’s own team and continues to practice in her own time.

A little lesser-known ability of Celine is her ability to create beautiful pieces of art outside of photography. Having been recognized by the County’s annual art showing multiple times in the past, Celine has constructed many different pieces using a wide variety of materials and techniques over the past four years.

Outside of her two biggest passions, Celine works as a tutor for Kumon Math and Reading center, and volunteers at the local animal shelter on a regular basis. In addition, Celine works as a Camp Hope counselor in the summer. Camp Hope, put on by the Santa Barbara County Animal Care Foundation, is a near week-long summer camp that aims at introducing kids and adolescents to careers in the veterinary fields and creating good relationships with other kids as well as animals in their communities. Celine has a history of being involved in helping others, whether that be animals or people.

However, what amazes me the most about this hardworking student is the desire she has in doing her best in school, and the accolades she’s received because of that. Celine has maintained excellent grades well beyond her middle school years, and currently possess a 4.5 GPA this second semester of 10th grade. This year, her class schedule is nothing less than challenging: Honors English 10, World History 101, Spanish 3 Honors, Chemistry, Algebra 2, and Photography 102. Celine credits her current and past teachers for helping her throughout her academic journey, and also notes that she has been in an encouraging environment throughout her life, and especially notes Orcutt Academy High School as one of them. Celine’s involvement in school consists of her participation in the College Scholarship Foundation and Interact Club, and is looking forward to becoming an FCC mentor next year to incoming freshman.

Ultimately, Celine’s aspirations for her future are not quite clear at the moment, for she’s been involved in the medical field with her volunteering at Marian Medical Center, but has her ultimate goal of simply helping others in her future. As she puts it herself, “I want to help others and learn from others at the same time, and I want to help make the world a better place.”

Celine is thankful for being put in situations in life that have helped her develop and grow into the mature teenager she is today. For it’s not just Celine’s motivation to be successful in life, it’s to use what’s she’s learning now to help those in the future.