Filed under Expressions, Showcase

Intervention Article

Orcutt Academy provides a mandatory study time for kids who have a 2.0 or below or who opt into the study session.

I had the opportunity to sit in on an Intervention period the other day and I immediately realized two things: 1) Intervention sucks, 2) but it is beneficial. Having to go into this ‘Study Hall’ every day, instead of going back home after a tiresome day of school, just doesn’t sound appealing. On the other hand this study time gives students time to actually sit down and get their work done in a quiet, controlled environment. It proves to be beneficial especially since the majority of students in this group are notorious for not completing their homework.

I questioned an anonymous student who is attending Intervention and this is what they had to say:

Me: “Do you believe Intervention is beneficial?”

Student: “It helps because I am given the time to sit down and do my homework.”

Me: “Is it enjoyable?”

Student: “It’s not supposed to be. I mean you’re not in there for a good reason.”

Me: “Do teachers check up on you and offer help?”

Student: “Not really unless you ask for help, and even then might not know the answer or how to help you.”

While some Intervention teachers and their students share they do offer or get help, this anonymous source indicated it just depended on which teacher you were assigned. Teachers indicate if a student is missing work, they work hard to ensure all missing assignments are worked on. The goal of the program, after all, is to move students up in grades and out of the class.

In addition to the two classes normally offered, this year a third Intervention class was added. This means we now have three classrooms full of students who are required or feel the need to attend Intervention. Administration hopes to keep the number of students down in each class, so as to ensure students have a point person to keep an eye on the students’ progress. I believe this means more students have the opportunity to improve their grades but the fact that we have three of these classes means our classmates are not flourishing in their academics.