Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Success 103: Thoughts from the seniors

Success 103 is a course taken by seniors to improve life skills, complete scholarship and college applications to prepare students for their future. I decided to speak with three seniors to get their perspective on Success 103, and see if they think it is necessary, and if so, what has helped them prepare for their future.

I first spoke with Cierra Nightingale, to get her opinion. “I think it is pretty important. Without it, how would we know how to apply for all of our colleges and know what we should be looking for?” She believes both success teachers do their best to help seniors out. Her only suggestion for the class is to work more on scholarships and college applications with one-on-one help from a teacher and to minimize classwork once in awhile, as it can become stressful.

I then spoke to Adrienne Mathieu, and was able to get a slightly different opinion. “I do not think Success 103 is necessary. I personally hired a college counselor and got all of my applications done in two days. We found a counselor in AG that helps students with their applications. She went through them and did them with me. She works with kids to get them into college and helps with applications so you can make yourself look as best as you  can.” She says while she was at class for two months and everyone else was doing their applications, she sat and did scholarships due a month later. After that, she says she had nothing else to do. “I would put more real life situations into Success 103. I would like to learn how to know if I’m getting good healthcare benefits, what my credit score means, and more true problems in life.”

The last senior I spoke to was Sommer Vasquez. “I do think Success is necessary. It’s helped me to prepare for not only college but how to prepare myself financially.” She says an activity that has really helped her was preparing a one week meal plan to see just how expensive food can be, especially for a college student.

Although there were some conflicting opinions, most agree that Success 103 can be helpful. A big thank you to both of the Success 103 teachers for helping seniors prepare themselves for whatever may be ahead.