Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Cheating OAHS: Part 1

Recently, Orcutt Academy staff member Mr. Frederiks caused a stir at the Spring Sports Rally by bringing to light the issue of cheating. Is cheating really that common here at Orcutt Academy? The Oracle took an anonymous survey of one Spartan Seminar from each grade to find out.

According to students, copying information from the internet onto homework is sometimes okay. 32% of freshman say it is okay, as do 8% of sophomores, 6% of juniors, and 9% of seniors. As for putting info into an essay, 18% of freshman, 17% of sophomores, 0% of juniors, and 5% of seniors find that acceptable. For some reason, Spartans find copying information into essays more of an offense when compared to copying it into homework. Another survey question called into question the morality of allowing another person to copy your work. 29% of freshman, 4% of sophomores, 0% of juniors, and 14% of seniors think it is okay.

A more surprising statistic was the one following the question, “Is it okay to tell a person from another period about the test they will be taking?” A stunning 53% of freshman, 42% of sophomores, 39% of juniors, and 36% of seniors think it is.

Of course, there it is a difference between thinking something is morally acceptable and actually taking part in it. But these numbers were no more comforting. Following the four questions, students were asked how many of the previous instances of copying they had participated in. 36% of freshman, 33% of sophomores, 33% of juniors, and 55% of seniors say they had done everything mentioned in the survey. However, these numbers don’t quite line up with the previous ones. Students admit that they have engaged in these forms of copying, but also recognize that it is not okay.

So, why are students cheating? Is it simply too easy to do so when someone in the period before you tells you all about the test or sends you the homework? Should teachers be taking more cautions against students cheating? It’s possible that all the lectures we receive on plagiarizing are working, because the amount of students who believed copying information into an essay was lower? Should we be given these same lectures about homework and tests too? Is it time to reexamine curriculum practices to eliminate the ease of cheating? There is definitely the presence of cheating here at Orcutt Academy, and we need to examine the reasons and solutions in the near future.

Check back next week for more on this topic and chime in below on your views on this hot topic.