Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Beauty and the Beast

Disney brought their famous fairytale Beauty and the Beast to life, remaking the story of a girl and a beast from 1991.

Beauty and the Beast is a romantic musical centered around Belle (played by Emma Watson) , who is locked in an enchanted castle. The Beast (Dan Stevens) who owns the castle falls in love with her, and must receive a true love’s kiss before the final petal falls or he will be a beast forever. Other prominent roles include the narcissistic hunter Gaston (Luke Evans) and his sidekick LeFou (Josh Gad). The movie’s main plot follows the original movie; however, the animation in this live-action is CGI and feels more realistic.

One controversy over Beauty and the Beast is a small “gay moment” midway through the movie. It happens during the song “Gaston” when LeFou winks during the lyrics “You can ask any Tom, Dick, or Stanley and they’ll tell you whose team they prefer to be on.” This is an innuendo for being gay, where choosing your team is choosing who you like. Frankly, the controversy was completely overblown. The line happens in a matter of seconds and is easy to miss, yet The Malaysian Censorship Board, the Russian Government, and some theaters threatened or actually banned the movie. Additionally, boycotts have received over 175,000 signatures. The movie also features many interracial couples, which is important to the theme of Beauty and the Beast; the movie is about who you are on the inside and not what you look like on the outside, and featuring mixed race couples was an excellent way to show that.

Regardless of the so-called gay moment, in 5 days the movie grossed $428.5 million, the second biggest global opening in March. The movie earned the more money on Thursdays preview night than any movie so far this year at $16.3 million. All of this happened on a school night which is significant because of the age group the movie caters to. The movie sits as second highest-grossing movie (first is Grease in 1989) and second biggest film of the year (behind Logan).
All in all, Beauty and the Beast is a wonderful production and Emma Watson and all the other characters do a stellar job. If the so-called gay moment is a deal breaker, then obviously don’t watch the movie, but it’s really quick and all the critiques have taken away the far more important messages of true love and how much appearances matter. I would recommend this movie to all people, even if you disagree because the movie can expand your worldview and add different opinions in a great musical.