Filed under Expressions, Showcase

Person of Interest

One of the most accomplished and driven people on campus is our very own senior Shania Bracamonte. She is a talented dancer with a bright future ahead of her.

Shania has been dancing for almost 13 years. She started her dance career at only five with ballet and tap classes, and then joined Hancock’s youth dance program at age 12. Two years later she entered Hancock’s college dance program at only age 14. Her mother put her into dance classes when she was young as a distraction from her home life and since then Shania has fell in love with the art as an escape from reality. “Dancing makes [me] feel like I have no problems or struggles… [I don’t] feel stressed when dancing.” It makes her happy because she feels like she is in her own little world. Shania spends 6 hours a day 6 days a week dancing, and if you have ever watched her perform, you can see her dedication and talent. Shania also has a part-time job as a hostess at RoadHouse Grill. Her schedule usually consists of school, dance, work, repeat, with her spare time being spent on her girlfriend.

When dancing, Shania enjoys being able to portray a character. Because of this, her favorite style of dance is hip hop because the character portrayal is fun. Contemporary is also one of her favorites because it evicts emotion and “matching your body to the rhythm of the music is literally the most insane and best feeling ever.” After high school, she plans on continuing her dance career at Hancock, then transferring to Cal State Fullerton or the American Musical and Dramatic Academy to major in dance. She is planning on joining a dance company and travelling California performing on tours or dancing for celebrities. Given her lengthy amount of years in dance and her incredible dedication, it’s almost definite Shania will achieve her goals.