Filed under News, Showcase

Why students should take concurrent enrollment courses

At Orcutt Academy, students are offered an array of classes designed to prepare them for success in their journey after high school. Included in the options are college prep, honors, advanced placement and the newly-introduced concurrent enrollment courses. Though each type is beneficial in its own right, concurrent enrollment courses are especially rewarding and should definitely be considered by students attending Orcutt Academy.  

In brief summary, a concurrent enrollment course is one that allows students to take an Allan Hancock class on the high school campus. The classes are taught by OA teachers who function as Hancock instructors. As of this year, there are five concurrent enrollment courses available to students, ranging from history to early childhood studies.

Concurrent enrollment classes are extremely valuable to a student’s high school career  because they allow students to get a head start on their secondary education and introduce them to college material. For each semester that a student takes a Allan Hancock class, they have the opportunity to earn up to  five credits as long as they earn a C or better. When compared to the AP courses, this system makes receiving credit much more achievable. In order to gain college credit in an AP class, students have to pass rigorous tests distributed by the College Board. In many cases students will not pass, which leaves them lacking of college credit and the 92 dollars they payed to take the test. To avoid this disappointing situation, students can instead take a concurrent enrollment class that only costs $20 for the one-time health fee, and guarantees college credit if a student earns a C average. By choosing this option students can get ahead in their schooling without a hefty cost or the trouble of a bad test day.

Another benefit complimentary of concurrent enrollment classes is that they prepare students for college by introducing them to more advanced material and a fast-paced curriculum. The transition from high school to college can be quite blindsiding for students who are not accustomed to the challenging concepts and quick learning style of college teaching. Fortunately, with concurrent enrollment classes students are able to familiarize themselves with college expectations beforehand with familiar teachers. Similar to how the classes would run at Hancock, students learn the materials through a combination of fast paced lectures and project-based teachings that require a deep understanding of the lessons. In my own experience, the concurrent enrollment courses pushed me to be productive and detailed as I adjusted to the more demanding class style. I believe they have prepared me well for the challenging courses that I will take in my future and allowed me to get a glimpse of what those might be like, just as they could for other students.

In addition to the advantages mentioned before, concurrent enrollment courses also give students the opportunity to improve their academic record and construct a more attractive transcript. One major benefit of the concurrent enrollment courses is that they give participants a GPA boost. This increase is very helpful for students trying to achieve an impressive weighted GPA or students who want to recover from a bad grade in the past. Lastly, concurrent enrollment courses allow students to build up a competitive transcript that is important for applying to selective colleges. When compared to the basic college prep classes, the concurrent enrollment options are more appealing to colleges and reflect a student who has challenged themselves to succeed. On a transcript, these classes will stand out to colleges and make students more desireable to the school.

Overall, concurrent enrollment classes offer many benefits to students at Orcutt Academy. Without hesitation, students should take advantage of these courses and allow themselves to get ahead for their future.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why students should take concurrent enrollment courses”

1. Mrs. Ciervo on March 22nd, 2017 3:29 PM

The $20.00 health fee is waived with a Concurrent Enrollment Course, so it is actually totally free! Yay!

[Reply]

• Why students should take concurrent enrollment courses

Expressions

Person of Interest Article Savannah Lacasse

Ms. Nuño

Showcase

OA Cheer Competition

Expressions

Person of Interest

Boys Quartet

Chloe Sheley: Poetry Out Loud Reflection

Showcase

March 22, 2017

Blood Drive

Spanish Fashion Show

Electives Bracket