Filed under Opinions, Showcase

PE Classes: rain or shine?

At Orcutt Academy students are required to take two years of Physical Education, unless they play a sport in their second year. Due to the rain this year, PE classes haven’t been able to go outside and are forced to stay in classes since there is no gym.

Each PE class, in periods 1 and 6, do different things. Mr. Bennett’s classes have a study hall, but students can do yoga or workout in the fitness center if the student is willing to. In Mr. and Mrs. Mckenzie’s classes they have a study hall and occasionally watch a movie or educational video on the unit in which we are working. But does study hall give us enough physical education?

Being high schoolers, on a rainy day playing games such as Heads-up-7-up and Hangman do not entertain us. So the question is: What can teachers have students do inside as a substitute for Physical Education? Having a study hall is a good answer, but only if it teaches on the curriculum. Sure, I  like having time to work on my other classes, but that is not the point of P.E. Having a gym or a large space to exercise would be better.

Due to weather issues, teachers will change the schedule and require students to run the mile on a day when students are unprepared. I spoke with Adrianne Lambert  who is in a 6th period PE class. I asked her what she thought about having to run the mile earlier than expected. She said, “I get it, the weather has been pretty funky lately, but if first period didn’t run the mile neither should sixth.”

Herein lies the biggest problem: weather shouldn’t prevent classes from completing some form of the curriculum as some classes are given more “work” than others which is not fair. There should be a schedule where everyone does the same amount of work. The curriculum needs to be planned according to the weather so each class is given the same. If the teachers are already doing this, they need to make it clear to the students as many have the perception that it is not balanced.